User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

page loading message w/ frames

hi all,

can anyone point me to where or how i can put a loading message placeholder in a frame that it itself contains multiple frames? i can't really explain it to well, so i through up a demo and hopefully you'll see what i am trying to do.

http://k.domaindlx.com/bslintx/check...list_frame.asp

the left frame will contain server side script that builds javascript trees...some may be quite large so i'd like to hava loading message until the frame completely loads

the demo only has the original authors example of outlook pics loading...i left that in there to demonstrate the delay...i would put my stuff in there but it's a freebie asp site and a pain to load ...so hopefully this will do...any help is greatly appreciated

here is the left frame content...well structure

if i need to post other source, please let me know...thanks
    Code:
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <TITLE>Menu</TITLE>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="javascripts/create_tree.js"></script>
    </HEAD>
    <frameset cols="100&#37;" rows="25,0,25,0,25,0,25,*" frameborder="0" framespacing="0" ID="CategoryBar">

<frame src="category_tab_links.asp"   name="CategoryBarTab_Links"    marginwidth="0" framespacing="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0">
     <frame src="category_menu_links.asp"   name="CategoryBarMenu_Links"   marginwidth="0" framespacing="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0">
     <frame src="CategoryBarTab_Outlook.asp"  name="CategoryBarTab_Outlook"   marginwidth="0" framespacing="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0">
     <frame src="CategoryBarMenu_Outlook.asp"  name="CategoryBarMenu_Outlook"   marginwidth="0" framespacing="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0">
     <frame src="category_tab_mail.asp"   name="CategoryBarTab_Mail"    marginwidth="0" framespacing="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0">
     <frame src="category_menu_mail.asp"   name="CategoryBarMenu_Mail"   marginwidth="0" framespacing="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0">
     <frame src="category_tab_default.asp"   name="CategoryBarTab_Other"   marginwidth="0" framespacing="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0">
     <frame src="category_menu_default.asp"   name="CategoryBarMenu_Other"   marginwidth="0" framespacing="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0">

</frameset>

</HTML>
    Last edited by bslintx; Jan 14, 2007 at 20:33. Reason: added link

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally the logic is like this (for whatever type of page not just frames):

- you have 2 divs, one shown and one hidden. The shown one has your loading message and the hidden one contains the page itself.
    - once the processing is complete, hide the loading div and show the work div. This can happen at different times depending on what is doing the work. If the server is doing the work (php, asp, etc) you can do the switch in the page's onload event handler. If the client is doing the work (javascript) you do the switch once the js function completes.