SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question trouble installing PHP on Windows 2000

I am trying to install PHP on a Windows 2000 Professional computer. I am following the instructions in the Kevin Yank's online book.

(I don't know if the folloing is relevant or not: I have been running ASP scripts on this computer for almost a year.)

After installing PHP and configuring IIS and php.ini per the instructions, when I attempt to restart WWW Publishing, after a long delay, I get the following error: "Could not start the WWW Publishing Service service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

I can restart the computer and confirm that IIS is running.

When I go to the run the sample page, I get the following error: "Cannot find server or DNS Error -- Internet Explorer"

If I run the sample page a second time, I get this error "Inetinfo.exe has generated errors...." At this point in time, when I check IIS, my web site has stopped running and I have lost connection with my "local host" i.e. the very computer that I am on.

I have check my settings and restarted several times.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, if you want to continue to run ASP scripts leave IIS on your machine and run it on a port other than 80. But if you are gonna run PHP scripts, and you want to run them on port 80, do yourself a favor and install apache for windows.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freddydoesphp
    IMHO, if you want to continue to run ASP scripts leave IIS on your machine and run it on a port other than 80. But if you are gonna run PHP scripts, and you want to run them on port 80, do yourself a favor and install apache for windows.
    Are you saying that PHP doesn't really work under IIS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's odd because I have 2 servers running IIS. One is a Win2k Server box with IIS 5.0 and one is a WinXP Pro box running IIS 5.1. Both are running MySQL 3.26.46, ActivePERL and PHP 4.1.0 without any problems at all. So it does work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm running PHP under IIS5 and Windows2000 - installs very cleanly (PHP 4.1.0 is a BIG improvement over previous versions - at least on Windows).

When I go to the run the sample page, I get the following error: "Cannot find server or DNS Error -- Internet Explorer"
    What is the URL shown for the sample page?

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying that PHP doesn't really work under IIS?
    Not saying that at all, hence the IMHO(in my humble opinion) clause. I prefer to use PHP under apache for windows, I have had problems in the past using IIS. Especially when using virtual webs that exist on a network drive. Which can be done in Apache.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.