User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cross domain update on the database

hi all,
    im building an ecommerce site. the company has a worldpay account thats already in use by another of their websites. Im in contact with the developer who built the other website and he is being helpful in writing the code on the payment confirmation (which only he has access to). I need to be able to update my database when an order has been completed (from the confirmation page on the other domain). Can you update an access db from another domain? if so are there any security issues? what, if any, permission do i need to set up ie: on the database or on my domain? what is the code to do this?
    many thanks
    - G

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty scary, allowing outside access to your database.

How does the other website update its db once worldpay has processed the payment? I would think a webservice is a better way to go about it.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi jim,
    yes, im slightly concerned about security. but i wouldnt be allowing outside access to the db, only from this particular domain (i think, ive never done this before!). the other website updates its db fine because the db is on the same server as the website so it doesnt have this issue. what would you do? whats the webservice option?
    thanks for helping.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just thought ild mention that im using an access db and asp (jscript)
    - G

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I get it...
    I thought you wanted some WorldPay script to update your database...not some script from the other website in your company.

Can you not just set up a network share that lets the other website have access to your database? I know that eg SQLServer can be accessed by whatever machine has rights to it, Im sure you could set up something similar for access.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi jim,
    i heard that because SQLServer is a server, its easy to do. but i have no experience of SQLServer, and the site is meant to be launched next week so cant redo it all. i found this link:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?p=2223896
    but its visual basic. i tried taking the connection string out and including the relevant ip address etc... but i just get an "internal server error" and dont know what this could be to do with.
    thanks
    - G

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)