SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Dilemma - which language to use?

Most social networking sites seem to be coded in PHP...

BUT

I really want to build mine using classic ASP as this is the language my trusted friend has a talent for.

This seems to make sense in the short term. However I worry about the lack of social networking sites built with ASP. There must be reasons for this. So plan to recode using PHP and transport existing database across once I have earnt enough from the website to pay for the services of a qualified person.

Is this plan sensible, should I stick with my friend and ASP OR should I code with PHP from the start?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might save money now by having your friend doing the coding, but it'll cost you more in the long run because you'll essentially be having to do it twice.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but what if you had little spare income right now? Would it make sense to take the cheaper option, build the customer base and then transfer at a later date to a PHP solution when the finances are better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one issue is that classic ASP is essentially a dead platform. the current version of PHP is, IMO, further advanced than classic asp (way more!). on the other hand, ASP.Net is a very solid platform and if I had my way, that's the platform I'd be using.

so if it were me, i wouldn't even consider classic asp for anything new. i'd bite the bullet and go either php or asp.net. you really might think you're saving money now, but i'd wager that in the long run, you're going to spend more on the conversion than you think you will.

if you're tight on bucks, then look for an Open Source script to get you off the ground, why reinvent the wheel? there's a few out there. plus i see PHPFox ads running on these forums as well.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After much deliberation I have decided a good relationship with my developer outweighs many advantages I might get by coding with PHP. I hope I have made the right decision.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. Don't worry about ASP not having many social networking sites. It's not a big deal unless one language makes a certain type of site ridiculously easy to code, which is not the case with social networking and PHP/ASP.

2. Do worry about ASP being dead for basically the last 5 years. I wouldn't write anything new in ASP nowadays, and any legacy project in ASP I'd come across I'd immediately recommend a rewrite if it's going to be used and updated more in the future.