SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Web Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris is right on. I would also highly recommend you learn HTML. It is easier than you might think and there are many good resources out there to help you learn (books and on the web). To expand on what Chris said, if you want a page up quickly you can use an editor as mentioned or even easier, places like http://www.geocities.com has a pagebuilder and pagewizard where all you have to do is drag and drop, but you will be hard pressed to design a site equal to one done in the traditional manner.

One site that was very helpful when I first got started is http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/ infact, I think I printed out just about every page on that site

Good Luck!

------------------
    - Bob www.associate-trackers.com (Coming Soon!)
    "We do the tracking, and you get paid!"

[This message has been edited by BobM (edited June 30, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can I web design my page? I don't know HTML language, but how can I have a good design for my web page?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kisha...I would HIGHLY (HIGHLY!) recommend learning HTML....it's easy, there are many places to learn it in, and without learning it you'll run into many problems adding to/modifying your site...

If for some reason you ABSOLUTELY cannot learn HTML but need a site up quickly...try an HTML Editor like Dreamweaver or FrontPage...but you'd be better off learning HTML first...or at least part of it.

Is English your secondary language? Your grammar was a little rough...just curious, not trying to offend anyone.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

[This message has been edited by TWTCommish (edited June 30, 2000).]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you will have a future in Web Design then learn HTML.

If you are just putting up a page that won't matter a month from now, or you are just putting up a page because you have to, then just use a web-based editor or WYSIWYG editor to save you time and effort.

Good luck!

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also let me add that it takes time and experience to create good designs. It took me several months before I created any design that was even semi-professional.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by TWTCommish:
    I used to use Tripod.com's Homepage Builder, that was my whole world at the time. It blew my mind how much more could be done if you knew HTML...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mentioned the editors at geocities because I built my first page with their basic drag-and-drop editor. I was thrilled at how easy it was. That was until about 3 days after I built it, then I realized the page looked like a scrap book . It deffinately didn't take me long before I knew that this editor wasn't cuting it.

------------------
    Bob Messinger
    Associate-Trackers.com <A HREF="http://www.associate-trackers.com" TARGET=_blank> www.associate-trackers.com </A>
    "We do the tracking, and you get paid!"
    Bob@associate-trackers.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kisha, I felt exactly like you at one time. I wanted to make a nice webpage without learning HTML. Like you, I was told that learning HTML would really be more worthwhile, and so I taught myself how to use it. It really isn't difficult at all, and there are several good and easy-to-understand tutorials on the web.

Good luck!
    Sparkie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use Tripod.com's Homepage Builder, that was my whole world at the time. It blew my mind how much more could be done if you knew HTML...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the editor at Fortunecities is even more worse: each time I see a page created with it, I leave immediately! Or newbies trying to work with Frontpage or DreamWeaver (Not me! ). There's one thing I hate about HTML: you can never make a proper layout, since HTML is only a markup language

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do decide to teach yourself HTML and would rather read from a book than a computer screen. I recommend you try "HTML For the World Wide Web" (Fourth Edition) By Elizabeth Castro

The book has a companion website at http://www.cookwood.com/html4_4e/ where you can find out more if you like.

I found it to be very easy to understand and useful. It also has a good section on CSS which you will also want to look into.