SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day

I'm new, have been lurking a while waiting for the Australian Sitepoint but could hold back no longer.

In a recent post about design a few of you mentioned designing for high speed Internet connections.

I recently read an article in 'the standard' that said 90% of home users in the US are accessing the net at 56K or lower.

I have recently connected to cable here($$$) and Sitepoints home page takes well over 30 secs to load.

Whatever the reason for the delay I believe we are years away from designing for high bandwidth.

By the time it finally gets here we will be designing for WAP (9K).

So what speed are you all connected at?

Matt www.internetedge.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes 56K, sometimes DSL, sometimes Cable...but basically never on anything less...thank God!

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At home I dial in at 26.4kbps.

At work I use super-cable (I have downloaded at over 300kbps!)

At work I also use a T1.

I hope I can get enough money to buy cable at home, it is only 38 bucks a month here.

A lot of the people in SitePoint (compared to the average user) will use broadband because they need it.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High bandwidth is beginning to be used on more and more computers, while on the other end low bandwidth will also rise. I think that in the near future there will be no 28.8 and 56.7kbps connections for computers, just for handheld devices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently got Cable access, but when I hear your complaints I guess cable access in Belgium is the best!

I got download speeds of 400 kb/sec., SitePoint takes me 2 seconds to load etc.

Before I wotked on a slow 56kb modem which I could luckely make 1 kb/sec faster...

Only small disadvantage with cable here is that you share the bandthwidth with people in your street, sometimes at 7 PM download times get longer, but are still high... When you do it in the morning you can get those 400kb/sec speeds..

Here in Belgium a lot of people are joining internet cable access.. That's probably cause 'normal' access costs 1$/hour at night and 3$/hour at day. And with cable you just pay 37$/month and you can do 2 gb/week. So, that's enough if you just surf and download something once and a while. Waiting times for a connection is one month now...

In Belgium we can choose for DSL too, but that 70% more expensive and you got can only download/upload 500megs/month.

We have also a Sattelite operator, but you can only download (at a very high speed) and not upload.

Christophe

------------------
    http://freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting stuff...

As you mentioned, the problem with cable hookups is that they share the same space with other users...and therefore a loaded cable line bogged down with many different users at once can become as sluggish as a normal phone line...

I've said it before: @Home needs to start to get their act together and provide solid service...not lightning fast access once in a while...they can't have it going down for little 2-minute gaps throughout the day every few hours (happens sometimes)...what they need from now on is a guarentee...a limitation on how many users can use the same line...to ensure that the lines are not slowed down by excessive use...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bandwidth is there. The high-speed access is there. I think what the original poster was asking is how come the download times are still long.

I personally don't know why he has such a problem with Sitepoint, it downloads in about 10 seconds on a 56K modem when I test. Much faster on a dedicated connection like DSL or ATM. Herein lies the problem. How is your provider connected to the Internet? Ask them. If they say T-1, T-3 or frame relay run, don't walk, to a new provider.

In my area there are approximately 10 different providers. Only one of them offers higher than a T-3 connection (approx. 45 mbps or 450,000 bytes a second). Now if they have 100 people online your alloted bandwidth drops to 4,500 or less than a 56K modem. This is regardless of how you connect to the ISP. Sure you'll get good burst speeds but it won't last. Not only that a lot of providers don't have direct access to the Internet backbone adding in another layer of bottlenecks there. One of the problems with @Home is that it goes through the AT&T network and then out to the Internet backbone instead of to the Backbone directly.

Look for a provider with a true digital connection (DS-3, OC3, OC48) to the Backbone.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    318Kbps? I have cable, but I never get higher than 70Kbps, only if I'm working under Linux I reach 150Kbps, so maybe it's just something with Windows

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your MTU and packet sizes are probably set for a modem under Windows. Do a search on the Internet for instructions on how to change them.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I achieved this performance on a G4.

By now you guys are sick of me talking about macs, but I had to that time

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a T-1 and a T-3 connection? I've heard about it, but since it isn't available around here, I've no idea.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use some type of cable. It downloads with about 25 kilobytes per second, witch is fast enough for me.

------------------
    www.123hyperlinks.com - Founder and owner
    Webmaster resources and
    freebies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could get speeds of 6 kb/sec when downloading with my 56kb modem, even when almost everyone was online. It seems that is a lot when I hear your stories...

And about providers..we have around 40-50 here... Free ones, paid ones, etc.

We even have 30 free ones...

Is Belgium an internet country or what?

We can choose for T1 and T3 access but it is very expensive..

Christophe

------------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The highest constant speed I have downloaded at on this computer is 2.8kbps. At work, with cable access, the highest constant speed I have seen is 318kbps.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there are really that many sites out there that load in excessive amounts of time...rather longer than they have to...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even Microsoft.com (a top 10 site as far as traffic goes) has a size of 63kb on the main page. That is just stupid.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for not posting sporadically throughout the thread but you wouldn't read about it my cable access went down. Finally someone was able to come out. Water in the cable!

So while the guy was here I mentioned the speed issue, he logs onto the @home portal and gets 350k download speed, I said I don't use your portal lets go to a regular site and see how long the site takes to open. He declined and said if I had an issue to contact base, which I have done on several previous occassions with no decent answer.
    I did get an email today (to all subscribers) saying that we all get a $20 rebate for putting up with sub-standard performance. At least they sort of admit there is a problem.

The one overiding factor in all of the posts so far is 'Inconsistencies'. Most people surf the net from 7 to 11 at night, this is when the high bandwidth is throttled(cable anyway) so it is pointless to have cable unless you work(daytime) with the internet.

It is recommended that a (32k)home page will download in 9 secs based on a formula, the fact is it will probably take 15 to 20 seconds as a result of a combination of unseen variables.

At the end of the day it seems safe to assume that we should be forgetting designing for high bandwidth and concentrate on speeding the download times of our pages over 56k connections.

It also seems obvious to me that we in Australia have yet to get our act together regarding broadband. The company I use(optushome.com.au) is a spinoff from excite@home, the web sites are almost identical. So I guess they have no idea.

------------------
    Matt
    www.internetedge.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The download speed here's is always AT LEAST 4 times faster as my old 56kb modem.

And on what for backbones do your provider work? I saw somewhere in this topic that someone just could take 3.4kb with a normal modem. I got with a free one 6kb. But you should change some things in the registry though.
    Christophe

------------------