SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you design websites for $ 350 - $ 500 (medium size, 10-20 pages easy scripts...

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • no just doing this contests for fun and for my own portfolio

1 4.55%
  • may be for a while but not on the long term

5 22.73%
  • yes if it's not too much work and if I could chose to do a project or not (time reasons ...)

12 54.55%
  • YES of course I'm happy about any paid web design

4 18.18%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just wondering

Hi everybody I just realized that there are a whole lot of web designerz in this forum and especially in the trading post that make designs for just a few $.

There are so many contests around here that only give from $25 up to $350 (the highest i've seen so far) for a professional design.
    The results are awesome. There are great and really useful designz in every contest.

What I thought is. Would any of you do designz and websites like that for $350 - $500 on a project in the long term if there was enough work ??

would be nice if you could answer this in the poll. Thank you.

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you're not actually running a competition or offering to trade services with somebody, this thread doesn't really belong in the Trading Post.

Moving to the Business And Careers forum.....
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm terrible at the graphic sector, so probably not. But, if I had the same talent as a few of my friends, then absolutely! Considering they can chuck out a quality template in 3-4 hours max.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends entirely on the site and client; if they are on a tight budget, sure, I can crank out a simple template-based site within those parameters (provided they have all the content prepared and ready to plug in).

The final price is determined by how long it takes me, so if I know they are on a tighter budget, I just make sure I don't take too much time in developing the graphics and layout.

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
    Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends but for the most part I would have to say no. I have a few packages for the clients that like "packages" - and the only thing you can get for under $500 is our "TurnKey" package...

3 Page TurnKey Website
    Domain Registration
    Hosting for 3 months
    Price: $399
    Includes 4 hours design or programming

For a 10 page website I would charge a client anywhere from $1500 - $2500 depending on the amount of design and programming they need, and whether or not we would have to write the content.

I should note, we charge by the hour, and even our packages have a set number of hours. Once the client has gone over those hours, we bill them. This keeps clients from changing their minds every day.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say much the same thing - around $2000, depending on the job and whether or not they required logo design, flash, photography, copywriting etc. $2000 would be about right for the basic site.

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I'm just wondering

Originally posted by DonTino
    Hi everybody I just realized that there are a whole lot of web designerz in this forum and especially in the trading post that make designs for just a few $.

There are so many contests around here that only give from $25 up to $350 (the highest i've seen so far) for a professional design.
    The results are awesome. There are great and really useful designz in every contest.

What I thought is. Would any of you do designz and websites like that for $350 - $500 on a project in the long term if there was enough work ??

would be nice if you could answer this in the poll. Thank you.
    Unless some contests slipped by me most of them are only for a template not 10 pages. I think the people you see doing contests do it in their "free time" to suplement their actual business.

If I had no current projects I would consider doing a site in that range. Its money isn't it?

Dan
    Dan's Site
    Some Current Sites:365 Puns! # Joke It! #
    Pride & Joy!
    Current Projects: ArcadeRat! # Scouting News # yW

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't consider doing a site for a client for that amount of money. Oddly though, I'll happily do one for free for a friend. The difference is in the commerce. As soon as people hand over money they've "bought" your service. From experience I know that planning and snagging alone is gonna cost more than that in my time, let alone construction.
    Friends will often have an idea or concept, and happily let you be creative. If they want something changed, I'll do it, but when I have time. There is no fiscal whip hanging over my head.

Does that make sense?

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats exactly right H...

Often the client will want a full site (ie, hosting, domain registration, marketing, design, CMS, etc)
    While the trading post is often just for just one small service...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a good friend call me yesterday and ask me to create a website for him... we are fraternity brothers (actually he's my "big brother" in the fraternity)

Was it wrong of me to say I'd be happy to send him a quote?

Seriously, I rarely do work for free. If someone is serious enough to get a website they're serious enough to pay me for it. If you asked a lawyer for legal advice (even from a friend) they'll make you an appointment... and send you a bill. Why should our industry be any different?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by beley
    Seriously, I rarely do work for free. If someone is serious enough to get a website they're serious enough to pay me for it. If you asked a lawyer for legal advice (even from a friend) they'll make you an appointment... and send you a bill. Why should our industry be any different?
    Good points...same would go for any profession, be it plumber, electrician, dentist, etc...

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
    Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead