SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No right-click for Firefox?

I am trying to protect images on an art gallery web site. A simple no-right-click script will do. While these are a dime a dozen for Netscape and IE, anyone know of one that will work with Firefox? I am using one right now that WILL pop up the alert box, but the normal context menu pops up, as well...a bit counterproductive!

Thanks!
    Terri Eades - Web/Graphic Designer - www.terrieades.com

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    <body oncontextmenu="return false;">

will turn off the context menu completely from both the righ mouse button and the keyboard in those browsers that allow Javascript to turn it off. Of course there are dozens of ways to turn it back on of course those most likely to use the context menu are those least likely to know how to get access back in order to navigate to the next page. Thieves on the other hand don't bother with the context menu because they know that they already have a copy of the images saved in their browser cache of their own computer by the time that the page displays in the first place. The overall result of applying no-right-click scripts is usually less visitors and more theft.

If you want to actually apply partial protection to the images instead of just annoying visitors then you need to lower the resolution of the images as far as reasonable and then apply watermarking in the image itself. Any attempt to remove the watermark will then result in the resolution being lowered further hopefully making it unusable while leaving the watermark intact will identify where they stole the image from.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another technique that offers a little protection against the right-click crowd is to display the image as a background image with a transparent GIF overlay. The right-click save option then saves only the GIF. The URL of the background image, however, will always be available either in the page source or the CSS stylesheet file.

Some image file types allow comments and those can contain a copyright notice, as well.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I haven't come across a way to add a comment into a GIF, JPG, or PNG file (the only three valid web formats). Which graphics program will allow you to add comments into an image and which of these three formats can have comments added?
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It usually is a total waste of time trying to turn off the right click in FireFox as No Script, Quick Java and other plugins Fire Fox users use to protect themselves from javascript vulnerabilities on the Internet simply and completely disable all client side scripting.
    Released under the Fiasco Labs Digital Damnation Copywright,
    it's yours to make whatever the 7734 you want with it.

(c) 2005 Fiasco Labs All Wrongs Reserved

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    If you want to actually apply partial protection to the images instead of just annoying visitors then you need to lower the resolution of the images as far as reasonable and then apply watermarking in the image itself. Any attempt to remove the watermark will then result in the resolution being lowered further hopefully making it unusable while leaving the watermark intact will identify where they stole the image from.
    Oh, yes....watermarking was my FIRST line of defense. I've been in the 'biz long enough to know that right-click scripts don't do much. This was asked for by the owner of the site for a little bit of extra protection, so I'm trying to comply.
    Terri Eades - Web/Graphic Designer - www.terrieades.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    I haven't come across a way to add a comment into a GIF, JPG, or PNG file (the only three valid web formats). Which graphics program will allow you to add comments into an image and which of these three formats can have comments added?
    The GIMP will allow comments with a GIF or JPEG. I haven't tried an SVG, which could be argued to be valid for the web, if not necessarily universal in its support, though I believe I read the format supports comments.

I should add that the GIMP offers better JPEG compression than any of the other programs I've tried (PhotoShop, PhotoImpact, etc.) or any of the highly touted plugins, designed for PhotoShop, expressly made for that purpose.