User Tag List

Thread: PO box

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PO box

Was thinking about getting one. How much do they cost?
    http://www.sianews.com: an independent, politically conservative news site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try calling the post office.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know I prepared this great answer then complete with a link to the relevent website then realised that Royal Mail's PO Box services would be no use to you whatsoever.

One thing to consider though, is that a PO Box might not do wonders for your business image. Afterall, if all a customer sees if a PO Box number and not an actual address it adds a level of anonymity to your business and can't harm customer trust if you're not careful.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy to my neighbor in Ohio! How do you like this heap of snow we've got?

Post Office boxes here (in WV) cost around $60+ per year, depending on what size you get. I have a small one, and use it strictly for business, since some people get my home address wrong.

They do add a level of anonymity to your business as Fluffy said, but you can overcome that by putting multiple ways to contact you on your website where people can find them. On mine, for example, I not only have my P.O. Box, but also my phone and fax numbers, and my username for the zillion and one IM clients that exist out there
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And also check out private postal areas, like Mail Boxes Etc and the like. One here by my office rents for $6 a month, or $30 for 6 months, or $50 a year.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they are great. I have one and it costs about 45 dollars a year where I live. I think it may be a bit more professional than a home address as well as the fact that I'd rather not have everyone that visits my webpage know exactly where I live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember for sure as my wife handles all of the bookkeeping, but $60/year seems to pop up when I think about it. Really a trivial expense, but you can get larger boxes or drawers if you expect a large volume of mail.

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
    Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Steelsun
    And also check out private postal areas, like Mail Boxes Etc and the like.
    I wish we had a MBE around here!! It would be so nice to not have to stand in line for a half hour when I want to mail a package!

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
    Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for a PO box for business, I'd tell you to think again. Putting a PO Box on a website for potential clients, doesn't build trust.

What I suggest to my clients who work from home is to add "Suite A" or Suite 1 to their address. That doesn't bother the PO. Or as someone suggested, use mailboxes r u. Or ask a friend who has a business if you can use their address.

Cost depends on the size of the box you get. The USPS website should have the prices listed somewhere...

Best of success,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Maria that adding Suite A, 101, etc. to the end of your home address as opposed to a P.O. Box is a much better idea. However...

The lady I do IT consulting/service for recently decided to add Suite 201 to the end of her home address since her office is added on to the back of her house and she wanted to separate her mail and give a more professional appearance to her business addy. Now, she lives in the small community of Eaton (population is around 2,000-4,000) and all she had to do was send a letter to the City Manager and Postmaster to get approval to add on the Suite 201.

While I was looking into this situation for her I decided to ask about doing this for myself when I was on the phone with the county zoning and planning commission.

The lady I was talking to basically told me I would need to get approval from the Postmaster, but that I would also need to have a county zoner/planner come out to where I live to approve the "addition" and to see if I'm going to create problems and a bunch of other BS and fees that are insanely stupid and really not necessary.

The moral of the story? Well, there really isn't a moral, but just so that you all know, in your community it may consist of more than just writing to the Postmaster to get approval for your "Suite A."

Unfortunately, you can't just bypass all the BS and add on Suite A to your addy mainly because you don't have any sort of "approval" (everything's political these days) and mail may not even get through.

If you are willing to wade through the politics, go for it. Otherwise a P.O. Box may be the way to go.
    Isaiah Walter
    Owner / Visionary
    White Wonder Studios - San Diego web design & graphics
    www.whitewonder.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI - No one I know, and there are many in many states, who have added Suite A or Suite 1 or similiar facimile to their home address has ever contacted the PO... nor have they had any problems, to date, because of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just what they told me when I called the planning and zoning office...

My educated guess would be that it's one of those things that if you want to "cover your butt" and make sure you are "clean" in every aspect good for you. Otherwise, the political people don't really care...they just want your money if they can squeeze it out of you because you are too careful.

That's my humble aspect of it all.
    Isaiah Walter
    Owner / Visionary
    White Wonder Studios - San Diego web design & graphics
    www.whitewonder.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also contacted the zoning board. And each area, town, city ect., is different. As long as mmail is going to the same box, for the same door, it's OK just to use it.

Actually the PO has stuff so automated now, that they don't pay too much attention to it... and if you already have an apartment number, changing it from apt to ste is no problem at all.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some very interesting ideas in this thread so far. The idea of adding a Suite 101 type line on the front of a home address is actually a very good one and I'm seriously considering adopting that one myself.

I just wanted to post this link, for anyone in the UK who's considering getting a PO Box:

http://www.royalmail.co.uk/postal_services/default.htm - PO Boxes is an item on the menu to the left.

Only 52 for a year's service. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS Businesses at home require a license of some sort (even a few different types of licences from state, city, county, town, etc.). In some places, you only need a license to do business as. BUT if you plan to have people in your home as a usual course of events (vs a virtual business), or lots of shipments from UPS, or lots of folks driving up to the house (for example) then you need a home occupancy license from the zoning board - if a home business is allowed in your area. Zoning also comes into play when you change primary doors in a home!

Contacting your city/state/county for that is a very important peice of owning a business and to pay for the license, taxes, and stuff that is involved with being professional.

Home occupancy permits, when allowed in your area, are a pain, will cost an extra fee in most places, and have a bunch of rules around it, too. However, getting sleep at night is worth the price.

Maria