SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help! Some users can't access sites using Javascript?

Hello,

Mambo and Joomla sites using PHP/MySQL:

www.the-bizness.co.uk
    www.the-write-bizness.co.uk
    www.learning.the-bizness.co.uk/
    www.greenpolitics.co.uk
    http://207.218.208.2/~thebizn/dokeos/

=====================================

Some end users trying to acess my sites get error pages or site blocked messages - no doubt from work or educational institutions. I did some e-learning work for the NHS in the UK and some computers had Javascript blocked which prevented people from seeing intereactive page elements drive by Javascript - and I think that is the main problem.

My question is how can I present a page to someone trying to access my site that tells them to enable Javascript or that checks for problems and tells the person trying to access my site?

I tried just creating an index.html page but that seemed to interfere with Google's indexing of my site. Google read the index page and nothing else whereas it reads the original index.php site OK. Besides, the index.html page also had a Javascript that closed the html page and forwarded the user to my proper home page and that could cause the same error messages.

Javascript blocking problems seem to be quite common, especially from workplaces so any help would be appreciated.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. Some browsers don't have Javascript so asking people to enable what their browser doesn't have is pointless.

2. Some people specifically disable Javascript because they have disabled activeX and don't want the contant popups about activeX being disabled. They wont enable it again just because you ask them since they have it turned off for a reason.

3. Workplaces that have turned Javascript off will have the settings locked so that employees can't turn it back on.

Web sites should be designed so that they work without Javascript as Javascript is an optional component which only 90% of web users have enabled. If your site doesn't work without Javascript then it is designed incorrectly.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick response! Thanks. However it would still be nice if I could find a way of presenting a message that says YOU NEED JAVASCRIPT to access this site etc without causing the Google problem and avoiding the standard trick of just presenting an html page.

I'm using Opensource software (Mambo) that has all the Javascript built into it. So I don't suppose there is a way of creating a parallel site. Also I can hardly find a site nowadays that does not rely heavily on Javascript. And in the project I was working on access to Javascript was so important, the only solution was to enable Javascript on request. The reason for that is that the E-learning software is built around Javascript for its interactivity so building an alternative site was impossible.

My Dokeos site needs Javascript to function so I suppose it is the poor 10&#37; I'm aiming at. The forums are full of cries for help about not being able to access a Hotmail account for example, because they don't know about Javascript, hence at least the desirability of a message giving them the option to mark a site like mine as "safe" and non-malicious.

Incidentally, my sites all work with ActiveX disabled.

Oops! Think I might have found a part solution - needs testing = something to do with a <noscript> command?

Also just found this " am prone to say this is bad practice because of the well-known search engine spamming technique some 'evil' sites use. Using redirects from lots and lots of pages which will each get picked up by a search engine bot will make a site look really important (as it is linked to from lots of pages.) Consequently, many search engines will ignore site pages which redirect, if your default page is using a redirect, that means your site will not get listed." from this post http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...%3Cnoscript%3E which kind of verifies my Google problem and the reason why Google does not like redirects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keveen View Post
    Quick response! Thanks. However it would still be nice if I could find a way of presenting a message that says YOU NEED JAVASCRIPT to access this site etc without causing the Google problem and avoiding the standard trick of just presenting an html page.
    Sounds like you already found it, but:
    Code:
    <noscript>
    <p>Sorry - this site requires JavaScript to function correctly. Please enable scripting and refresh the page.</p>
    <p>If you are unable to turn on scripting, we don't care about you and are not interested in your money. Go away.</p>
    </noscript>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I might even use the message!

But seriously what about all those sites using integrated Javascript? I think it's more a browser problem that needs to be sorted out. I'd really like to see some simple buttons that switch Javascript on and off as needed and another simple one for Trusted Sites like the BBC. The BBC site won't work with heavy security blocks - session? cookies needed I think.

The mass of people out there haven't a clue about Javascript. They just need to know that this is safe (click the safe-site button), this is not (click the shields-up button).