SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good way to use phpMyAdmin for locate and remote sites?

Hello there.

I currently develop PHP websites on my iMac using TextWrangler (coding), Cyberduck (FTP) and MAMP (local development environment). I have MAMP setup so it pretty much resembles what I have for my sites that are hosted on United Hosting servers. I use phpMyAdmin to manage my databases locally and remotely.

The problem I'm having is that I want to my databases that are local to have the same setup and data in them as the remote databases and visa-versa. The only way I do it at the min is by exporting the database on the remote site in phpMyAdmin and then pasting that code into the SQL box on my local phpMyAdmin. Doing this once in a while keeps the local databases pretty much up to date - but even with that I seem to have problems. Maybe because I'm not too savvy with phpMyAdmin or with SQL commands, but I seem to run into errors like "#1062 - Duplicate entry '279' for key 1" and stuff like that. It just all seems tedious and long drawn out.

Is there any third party (preferably free!) bits of software that can keep the databases (local and remote) pretty much synchronized? Is there a special command in phpMyAdmin for this type of thing? Can anyone give me tips on what they do with their development set up?

Thank you very much for your help. I've been learning so much off this site already.
    Little Jim

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Search the Mysql forum for the words backup mysql and a couple of postings pop up which look pretty good.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried this. It's not really coming up with anything specific to my problem. Well, not from what I can see.

Anyone else help possibly? Much appreciated.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might look around in hotscripts.com for a database backup tool or remote database management tool.

Al

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. Thanks for your comments. I may check out Navicat or something.

Have a good day!