SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good XHTML/CSS reference?

Question all. Its time I update my xhtml/css reference, but I'm not sure which is best/most current. I'm looking for a book. I did see html dog but don't think its for me? Any suggextions guys?

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say...

Not books, but you can print them nevertheless.
    Simon Pieters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is true, but if you had to recommend just one, what would it be?

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One is css and one is html. He can't recommend just one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No books but very helpful: ZVON.org - References.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zcorpan View Post
    I'd say...

Not books, but you can print them nevertheless.
    I already did. They look very nice on paper. I recommend everyone to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm enjoying - CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I guess it could be used as a reference.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.w3schools.com is my favorite for reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your purpose for the book: 1) structured training; 2) read cover to cover for "enjoyment learning"; or 2) scan and keep on the shelf as a reference; I would suggest different covers.

I am visual by nature, so structured training (if using a book) I always find more effective with plenty of examples and a partner Web site with downloadable lessons and/or coding samples. The last two CSS books I read for this purpose were Eric Meyer on CSS and SitePoint's 2005 The CSS Anthology. Both books have a strong chapter on styling calendars, which I refer back to from time to time. However, I am now learning some AJAX tools I hope will allow me to add some useful animations to the otherwise “pretty CSS” calendars. I noticed in Eric’s book, his CSS was always embedded, which I rarely if ever use or recommend; however, I just assumed it was a sign of the earlier CSS books (although Eric appeared to be well ahead of the pack).

For often referred to "reference" books, I have always liked the "Bible" series. I would love to read one cover to cover, just so I could say I did ( ), but I simply do not have the time. The ones I have on my shelf are incredibly thorough and have been terrific for looking up some item I cannot seem to find elsewhere (which is getting even more difficult with so much information available at my fingertips on the Internet.) -- Your question sparked me to visit Amazon, and I found HTML, XHTML, and CSS Bible (Bible) 3rd Edition is rapidly dropping in price, as Amazon is already accepting pre-reserve payments for the 4th edition, expected in September 2007, covering all Web 2.0 related technologies. (I strongly suspect my next purchase.)

As far as reading for what I call "entertaining" or "enjoyment" learning, this is where I will stray into unfamiliar territory, i.e. try a new author, publisher. (I receive several magazine subscriptions, as well, to help revive the “creative energy”.) Last week I found an intriguing book at B&N (where my 12-year-old daughter and I hang out) Transcending CSS. At first glance, it appeared to be a next generation CSS Zen Garden and great for sparking new ideas. After sitting down with it for about a half-an-hour or so, I decided I had to have it! If for no other reason, it ranks way up there on the “coolness” meter … ) The next day at the office, I found it online for about 50% off for a new book, so I am anxiously waiting for the mail delivery each day.

It goes without mentioning how many options are available for online references and tutoring. However, one of the best I have found from a technical perspective is this page of Web Development tutorials. I have not examined the XHTML/CSS lessons; however, if they are anything like the others, I am sure they are detailed and thorough enough for any level of “student”.

Good luck with your search.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    covering all Web 2.0 related technologies.
    Don't fall for the marketing hype. So called "Web 2.0" is a structure not a technology.
    one of the best I have found from a technical perspective is this page of Web Development tutorials.
    From that web page:
    have been tested using Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 under Windows XP.
    So I would be very wary of bad information since the tutorial is either wrong, hacked or up to nine years behind web standards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't tried testing anything on that tutorial site but here's an example of why I would be wary of it. In the Xhtml tutorial, they say to use the xml prologue. However, since they test in IE6, the xml prologue puts IE into quirks mode. This uses the broken box model, among other problems. So I wonder how the rest of the tutorial and code deals with that? Does it ignore it, or treat the broken items as 'normal'?

Also, it advocates using xhtml1.1. But ver 1.1 should not be served as text/html. IE6 does not handle xhtml served as xhtml either. How does the tutorial handle that?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A List Apart is still a good reference on issues a lot of designers run into while trying to maintain valid XHTML and CSS. I'm fond of their -9999px t-shirt as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blooberry is good quick reference but it hasn't been updated in a while. It's still useful though.

http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the tips on the tutorial site, doc howard. last year i scanned a few of the JScript and ASP lessons. it sounds like i needed to dig a bit deeper to confirm how outdated some of the sections really are ...

and of course "Web 2.0" is being redefined every month, so as you noted, this marketing blurb could mean a number of presentation aspects of a site ...

i appreciate the return input ...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really sure what kind of reference that you are looking for, but for CSS attributes I have the SitePoint CSS book for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elemental70 View Post
    I did see html dog but don't think its for me?
    The HTML Dog book is very good, actually - a straightforward walk though every aspect of writing XHTML and CSS, and a great reference section as well. You could do a lot worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it sounds like i needed to dig a bit deeper to confirm how outdated some of the sections really are ...
    I'm not saying they are outdated. I'm saying they are flat out wrong! They use IE6 to test their code. That's like confirming the answer to a question with a liar. You don't know what is correct or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBryan2 View Post
    www.w3schools.com is my favorite for reference.
    I find this to be a useful reference too.

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Bradley View Post
    The HTML Dog book is very good, actually - a straightforward walk though every aspect of writing XHTML and CSS, and a great reference section as well. You could do a lot worse.
    I want to second the recommendation of this book - the best of its type i've yet seen.

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
    I find this to be a useful reference too.
    I find w3school's documentation often to be either wrong or misleading... I wouldn't recommend it at all. (And no, w3schools have nothing to do with the W3C.)
    Simon Pieters

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was under that impression until I clicked on the "About w3schools" link and discovered it's three Norwegians doing it all. Also, their layout uses tables, which isn't great for a site that should be advocating good web design.

I like this reference for CSS2.1 selectors.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zcorpan View Post
    I find w3school's documentation often to be either wrong or misleading... I wouldn't recommend it at all. (And no, w3schools have nothing to do with the W3C.)
    For XHTML and/or CSS? Must think IE is standards-compliant.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Sitepoint's CSS Anthology's a good one. If you want to try video though, then I recommend Lynda.com's CSS for Designers. To learn more about using CSS for layouts, check out http://www.maxdesign.com.au - excellent float and list tutorials. Aftetr you've gone through all that, go check out some code over at the CSS Zen Garden.

Happy surfing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I'll revisit html dog and see, most of the ones you guys have mentioned I have. Both Eric meyer, DOM scripting, Zen CSS, Bullet proof web design, designers web reference. site point XML, AJAX, CSS anthology, PHP...well most of them.... Most I wanted just an up to date css/xhtml reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most I wanted just an up to date css/xhtml reference.
    Then go back to posting number 2.