SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Redesigning a site -lost of PR?

I have a friend who started a site 4 years ago in plain old HTML, nothing fancy, no database, etc.

His site now has about 400 pages and he has asked me to help him convert his site into a CMS (most probably will be using Wordpress).

The problem is his site has a PR of 5 and some lower PR's in the inner pages and is ranked well in Google for certain keywords and now after the redesigning he expects everything to be the same, i think it's impossible and told him it will take time since his URI's will change etc.

Is there a way to solving this?

By the way, he plans to leave the old site as it is and start the new one as version 1 (e.g - www.domainname.com/v1)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime you make a lot of a changes to a site, there is the chance of adjustment to PR or page ranking in the SERPs, although if the site is fairly well established, the overall content and theme doesn't drastically shift, and the URL's are left intact, then it may just be a minor bump in the road and it will bounce back quickly.

Running a "second version" though will probably just lead to duplicate content issues not to mention possibly confusing visitors.

I suggest taking a look at MODx at www.modxcms.com as you will be able to use mod_rewrite to maintain the existing URLs and could even drop in the existing design, quite likely without any real or significant change to the visual look and layout or even the underlying coding... you could potentially make the switch completely invisible to the SEs.
    Identity Developments - SEO Focused Web Design
    It's not about websites, it's about your identity.

| Credit Card Apps |

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use a 301 redirect. But changing URLs will cause a hit as no redirect is perfect. They should do their best to keep as many old URLs as possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks i-dev for the modxcms.com link , i shall check that out soon.
    Stymiee the 301 redirect sounds like a good alternative too, i think i might just do that.

Thanks