User Tag List

There can be only One.... joelwills's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet reconnection on XP

Hi All,

I'm having an intermittent problem connecting to the Internet using Windows XP. I have a normal 56k dial-up modem, and I can connect fine when I have first booted up my PC. However, it I disconnect and try to reconnect I can't.
    To be more precise, the modem dials, XP says I have connected, but IE or anything else cannot connect to the web. I have tried this with ZoneAlarm on or off, and the Windows XP Firewall on/off and a combination, but it makes no difference.

When I reboot, and try to connect, it takes about 1 minute for the dialog box to come 'alive' (the a:\ and hard drive scan as if you started Windows Explorer) and then I click Connect it connects just fine.

This doesn't happen every time, but is now occuring 75% of the time approximately. Has anyone had similar issues, or any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Joel
    Life Goggles - The Entertaining Environment Blog
    http://www.lifegoggles.com

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have problems with XP too. With me if I click cancel when connecting, dial up networking (or whatever it is in XP) crashes and I have to restart to use it again. All I can suggest to you is to look for a newer driver

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

There can be only One.... joelwills's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sean, I got a newer driver when I first had the issue, and assumed that had solved the problem as it didn't occur again. But obviously not! Strange that it started happening again.

BTW, I have that Cancel problem too!
    Life Goggles - The Entertaining Environment Blog
    http://www.lifegoggles.com