SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone please help with my CSS?

I'm not a super experienced web designer but I'm not totally green, either, which is why this problem is frustrating me so badly. I'm a catalogue proofreader and because of my background with designing I have been charged with re-doing the website. Sounds easy. It's nothing dynamic, just information. So I wrote up my own pages in notepad, (initially with the help of Composer--blech), and a style sheet. But there are all kinds of problems and I can't figure it out.

In Firefox:

-not pulling my link styles or table styles
    -for some reason just on the index.html file the content has expanded all the way to the right of the screen, past the container width

In IE:
    -the link styles and table styles are working BUT my background is a mess. I just want the content area to be white but it's red!

Basically no one here knows anything about designing sites so I need some outside help. Not all of what should be links are, but you'll get the idea: http://www.abbetyk.com/totalworks/about.html

EDIT: I forgot to say that I checked it all out in Dreamweaver while I was at home and it looked like everything was right. I don't know what is getting in the way of it being right when it's online.

SitePoint Enthusiast darkhorse162's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    abbe - did you fix the problem? The page you linked to works just fine for me in FF 1.5.0.9 and IE7, looks the same in both. Did you try refreshing your browser?
    .:::darkhorse162:::.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You use Xhtml end tags yet you declare html in your doctype. Remove the ending slashes, such as in <link ... />. Also, your doctype is incorrect. See my link below. You should use strict for a newly created page but your code is old and deprecated so transitional is best.

Validate your code for errors.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, a Chicagoan. I'll get back to you once I've cleared out these other tabs in my browser, and see what I can do for you. In the meantime, you'll want to take Doc's advice .