SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holiday traffic patterns?

This has been my first year running a good site through the holiday season. And just as people have told me, my earnings have increased noticeably. It started in early Dec and has been going good since. While I have been getting more traffic what gets me is that my CTR has more than doubled lately, which I find odd. I made some changes to my ad placements but that was near the beginning of Nov, would it take that long to see a difference?

Also how long can I expect to see this 'holiday surge' of traffic? It's after new years and my earnings are still above average.
    The Flash Gaming Network
    Editorial reviews for the latest flash games!
    Afro Ninja Productions
    Original flash games and content from a guy with an afro

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good, normally people are in holiday mood hence businesses usually slow down after Christmas, google seems also in holiday mood they are busy in refreshing their data.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sales go down from Mid December until February or March. Happens every year.

I think it depends on the niche. One of my sites that is new this year held stead and is starting to go up.

Michael
    ~...............~
    $100 a Day
    ~...............~

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Historically my sales have been strongest in January, followed by December.

One of my sites:
    11/2005: 374 orders
    12/2005: 536 orders
    1/2006: 597 orders:
    2/2006: 554 orders
    11/2006: 468 orders
    12/2006: 606 orders
    1/2007: 110 orders (expected: ~660)

It's not just an increase in conversion rate, but an increase in traffic both from natural search and from paid search during that period, even though I don't change anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I don't sell any products so all I can base it on is traffic numbers. and I haven't made a single major update to my site since early nov, so maybe I'm just getting lucky. Or maybe there's enough new people finding out about my site now that the word is spreading quicker? I dunno...
    The Flash Gaming Network
    Editorial reviews for the latest flash games!
    Afro Ninja Productions
    Original flash games and content from a guy with an afro

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're talking about the site in your signature then I'm truly amazed. The traffic to entertainment sites usually go down noticeably during the holidays (well at least mine for sure ).

As far as the ad placement change, that's effective that instant usually, definitely not a month later. The increase in CTR is probably caused by the new visitors.
    Saul