SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist Brandon Luhring's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE6 Absolute Positioning - Disappearing Act

I've spent many hours trying to troubleshoot this and research IE6 rendering bugs to no avail.

I'm hoping someone here may have dealt with this before and know the workaround.

I have a stripped down version of the page as an example, and at the bottom of the page it links to screen captures from five different browser/platform combos. All CSS and JavaScript are in the <head> for easier review.

The current state of the file (seen in the above link), is giving me the most consistent positioning results across all the most recent browsers, including IE7. However, it is also the one that IE6 simply does NOT show the absolute positioned elements...

I've tried a hundred things, from setting z-index, setting all containing blocks to "position: relative", trying to see if IE's "hasLayout" issue was getting me... no luck so far.

The one thing that I had working in IE6 was to change to relative positioning on those elements. However, there are two problems with that:
    1. The rendering in all other browsers become inconsistent (up to 20 or 50 pixels off in some cases).
    2. position:relative leaves blank space on the page, which is not favorable in my final page design.
    I've tried moving the absolute positioned elements in and out of other containing blocks, but as I said, the version linked above seems to be most consistent for everything except IE6.

IE6 is still a force to be reckoned with, so I hope someone knows exactly what's getting me and how to work around it.

Thanks,
    Brandon

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Looks to me like you just need to force layout on the content div.

Code:
            #content {
                /* force all content under navigation */
                position: relative;
                clear:both;
                padding:0px;
                margin-top:4px;
                background-color:#CCCCCC;
             width:100&#37;;
            }

SitePoint Evangelist Brandon Luhring's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul. You are a god amongst men.

I'm so mad at myself because I was working in the right area (IE's hasLayout issue), and I just never got it, I guess.

Thanks so much!