SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

floating the right column

Hi guys, wonder if anyoen could advise why my right column is floating below where it should be located.

http://www.mdtesting.co.uk/test/

I have spent a lot of time looking at liquid layouts, floats and negative margins really help my understanding if you could provide any help

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for starters those position:absolute can't be helping since they take your columns out of flow... absolute positioning models usually /FAIL/ with dynamic height elements... instead you should be using flow to handle it.

THEN you have that you have your float:right after your nonfloating centercontent instead of before it... AND you've got some negative side margins that I can't quite fathom the purpose of. (is that remnants of some SEO source order column trick that's not been preserved?)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    Well, for starters those position:absolute can't be helping since they take your columns out of flow
    The absolute positioning code within the css is commented out. or did i miss something ?

Thanks for fast feedback.

Tim

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the heads up on the wrapper.

Ok i have made some adjustments to the site.

Thank you for the wrapper comment, and also the "you must place the content div after left/right columns.

I have made the changes to the css.

you can view the affects here,

http://www.mdtesting.co.uk/test

Please note don't quite understand hwo the code you have given me for the centre column works... confused a little, never seen standard margins and negative margins applied on the same div before.

Tim

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also look at improving the semantics of the HTML code you're using too, before re-doing the site's stylesheet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which violates the principle of putting the human visitor before the search engines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Ben, you try navigating through a typical Web page on a Sony Ericsson T290a (or similar) model cell phone. "Content-first" sites are a pain in the neck to navigate.

Try using a typical screen reader (you'll actually have to close your eyes to do this). You'll suddenly wish you had the main menu first in the source code order.

Don't get me wrong, search engines are important, but they are not the most important aspect of Web design. PEOPLE are. I don't care how well a site has been SEO'd. If I can't use it, I won't use it - or come back. I'm sure there are several other people who agree with me on this as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what does that have to do with anything?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's because I make sure that the code I write will work in as many environments as reasonably possible due to the simple fact that I have no idea how or from what any given person is going to access the sites I code from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, now you're just being immature. Code examples are not always necessary, though they do help. If the original poster wants me to provide a code example, I'll be more than happy to do it. I will *not* however, cater to you.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    If the original poster wants me to provide a code example, I'll be more than happy to do it.
    Hi guys,

I don't want a total division on this thread, I think both of you are obv have very high knowledge on css and I value both thoughts and opinons (After all this is a forum).

Dan - I would like to see an example of some code. I think in a previous posted I talked abotu Liquid layouts and you said you might have a look at providing a code example. I would be really grateful if you could do that as I am looking for a good examle template of a liquid layout which isn't over complicated.

all4nerds - The code you provided does work to a point, but I have found sight errors which do occur when I try to enter content within the centre content div.

1. When you try to use spans (as shown www.mdtesting.co.uk/test/ ) it somehow corrupts the layout and places the spanned content between a huge left/right margin or padding.

2. If I wish to use floats within the div example. I would like a breadcrum trail floated left in the centre div and a print / bookmark links float right of it which I can't do as the centre container handles it wrong.

Once again, I am kinda sitting on the fence during your dicussion just trying to learn from both of your points. i would really appreicate any help which either of you can provide.

Many thanks,

Tim

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah i c

Thanks man, I see what you mean !

(Thankyou for posting code also - works a treat.)

I did was this use your second abit of css (seem more practical).