User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rails, RMagick, and Windows - please help

Hi Ruby experts,

I'm working on some code to resize an image in my web app. My hosting provider has support for RMagick, so I've decided to use that library. I am developing the app on my Windows XP machine, running Apache with FastCGi.

I created an RMagick script that runs fine from the command prompt. When I try to require 'RMagick' from inside my Model class, I get a nasty error:

The specified module could not be found. - C:/path-to-ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-1.14.1-win32/ext/RMagick.so
    RMagick documentation states that this error is NOT in fact a missing RMagick.so (which exists in that location), but a dependent ImageMagick library.

In the windows install, it added the ImageMagick directory to my system's PATH, which fixed an identical error that was previously happening from my command prompt script. However, I don't know how to do a similar thing, adding the ImageMagick directory to a rails path of some sort.

Can someone please help me out on this?

Thanks in advance.
    --
    Jimmy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I solved my own problem, but thanks for reading my problem.

I used Process Monitor (newer version of Filemon) to monitor where ruby was looking for the missing .dll files. I moved the ImageMagick CORE_*.dlls to my ruby/bin/ directory (I know this isn't the best thing to do, but hey!).

It now works perfectly. Hope this helps someone else down the road.

--
    Jimmy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odds are, you shouldn't use RMagick in your rails application as it will cause memory problems. I know that a decent solution for resizing images is using ImageMagick's convert tool, but that works on *nix.
    Ohai!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majglow View Post
    Odds are, you shouldn't use RMagick in your rails application as it will cause memory problems. I know that a decent solution for resizing images is using ImageMagick's convert tool, but that works on *nix.
    It works fine on windows too, and it's called mini-magick

http://rubyforge.org/projects/mini-magick/
    wtf242
    ProgrammingBooks.org - Programming Books Ranked by Programmers
    Turn of the Crank - My blog
    Robot Walrus - My Art Prints/Posters Blog