User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback from you people about blogYx.com

Hi,
    blogYx.com is a free blog host currently in beta. I was just hoping to get some feedback from you people. There's always room for improvement and I would love to get some reviews and suggestions.
    I couldn't afford a cool signature, so I just got this one.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a couple of things:

The banner on your home page "report a bug" should be changed and perhaps the link placed in another location (easy to find but just not on the banner).

The link "mor popular blogs" doesn't seem to be working. perhaps there is a JS problem?

Looks like you are building a nice little comunity. Some of the blogs are extinsive and make page loading a bit slow. There may be a way to break up the content so that it is distributed over a couple of pages. That will make things a bit more pleasing to impatient visitors.

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far too much text on the homepage!

I love your banner, you've tradmarked it so use it!

I wanna see your banner enlarged so your name BlogYX sticks in the users mind!

Try to use more images and maybe hover images, this will give a web 2.0 feel. Which in turn results from a GUI friendly and easy to navigate around.

Ask me for more feedback if you need it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Random blog" showed the text "lostinlovewithmyelf.blogyx.com »" when I view the page. But the text blew out the right hand side of the box. Perhaps make sure that the box can expand to fit the content, or atleast ensure that the content gets clipped instead of blowing out the side like that.

I agree with the comments about your logo though, it looks very good

SitePoint Enthusiast LogoVertising's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the "report a bug" banner has to be rid of as it occupies too much space. you can use a small button instead, and i'm sure it'd work the same, yet look better.
    without the big banner, visitors can have a full view on the homepage without scrolling down.

balance the content a little bit

good site overall, but wouldn't have my main blog hosted there just yet
    no politics

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, considering that it is in beta, the site looks good.
    Personally, I liked the image logo-index-blogyx.gif (Your logo image).

Good things:
    Color contrast is mostly good and easy on my eyes.
    Things like email validation, pop-up for reporting bug, returning to home page by clicking on the logo, etc have been taken care of.
    It seems to be fully functional.

Scope for improvement:
    Like Al pointed out, Report a Bug occupies a lot of space. I am assuming this will be removed when you move out of beta.

Best of luck!!

Sujith

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    thx for your feedback people
    We will remove Report a Bug banner after we are out of beta.

I'm still open for new reviews and suggestions.
    I couldn't afford a cool signature, so I just got this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice clean designs are always good, i think you achived that. Nice logo, and it's always good to have some sort of info text about what you do/are on the frontpage. So good job on those.

The thing i found a bit strange was no sort of navigation at the top (maybe not needed?). Just looked and felt strange. Kind of makes it a little incomplete, maybe thats a personal opinion though :P.

Like others have said the Bug banner has to go - and perhapse fill the bottom gap with something? Looks a little incomplete. Maybe a picture.

Try adding some line-height to your table text, say 130%. It will make the whole page just that extra little bit clean looking.

Good luck with the site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad, I really like the logo.

There are alot of elements on the page, and they all seem to be the same size, i would prioritize the more important ones. For example, I would enlarge the "Sign up area". Also, the logo could be a little larger.

I would remove "Report a Bug" and shift the sign up area and "what is blogyx" to the top. The "report a bug" is just cramming up the page and directing my eye to a negative aspect. I understand you want feedback from your bloggers, but perhaps there is a better way to approach it.

I think the overall layout is nice, but there is definately room for improvement.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site design-wise. I like the logo, and it looks like the color scheme, rounded corners, logo, etc. fits your intended audience.

It looks like on the homepage, you are trying to make it as easy as possible for people to sign up (thus, the big "sign up" button). However, I would consider consolidating the "What is blogyx?" section into a short, one-sentence mission statement or description of the site and then placing that front and center. Then, you can place a diagram of the sign-up process below that.

You can probably take out the big grey "report a bug" box. If it needs to be there, consider moving it to another, less prominent location.

Just some trivial comments. Overall, the site is well designed and usable (btw, I like the Most Popular Blogs, Latest Posts, and Statistics boxes).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the colour scheme and the logo but I just think there's too much "stuff" on the front page.

I would relegate the "What is blogxy" text to it's own page away from the index page and cut the lists of most popular blogs and latest posts down to 5 links each.

I'd also add some small pictures of your admin interface, example of sites built with this site etc to the index page to make it more graphical and less wordy. A picture's worth a thousand words after all!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice colour scheme. Just one suggestion visually, I'd have the log-in boxes layed out horizontally across the top, instead of squished up to the side, it would fill that blank space in the middle where there is nothing going on. Nice site.

Scary's On The Wall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little late on the whole blog-creation niche, don't ya think?

The site is great, just seems like a waste on a niche market that's already taken for the most part.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Steve View Post
    I love the colour scheme and the logo but I just think there's too much "stuff" on the front page.

I would relegate the "What is blogxy" text to it's own page away from the index page and cut the lists of most popular blogs and latest posts down to 5 links each.

I'd also add some small pictures of your admin interface, example of sites built with this site etc to the index page to make it more graphical and less wordy. A picture's worth a thousand words after all!

Thats a very good idea indeed. I totally agree, but then you also dont want to have too many pics..and dont make it too graphical because it`ll just be a terrible mosh of colors
    thanx for the idea tho