SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

***RESOLVED*** Is WordPress a piece of Junk?

I've tried to install Wordpress on my server and my laptop using their simple and suggested installation rules and I've gotten NO WHERE!

I thought WordPress was one of the better products out there! I've read many, many posts here.

I'm getting little help from their support forum.

Do i have to be an expert to operate it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by jacobpressures; Jan 4, 2007 at 12:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I have installed it a few times with no trouble at all.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was one the of the easiest things to do. Took me what 30 seconds?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wordpress is actually the best blogging software out there and easiest to install. What kind of errors are you getting?

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree WP is the coolest.

I am sure the issues you are having are minor and easy to fix, just let us know a bit more and someone will be glad to assist you.

1. Did you create a database?
    2. Did you enter that DB's info (name, user, password, host) into the wp-config-sample.php file and save it as wp-config.php
    3. Did you upload all files to your server?
    4. Did you browse to: http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/install.php
    If the answer to all the above is yes, let us know the error you are getting as stymiee mentioned.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankfully I have it on a couple of sites where the loading of the software was automatic via the hosing company. Great little program as well.
    He he knows what he does not know, knows more!
    Cruise Lines, SEO, Web Optimization,Talk-Cruise,World Cruises

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I think alot depends upon your experience level, the amount of time you can devote to the learning time, and your own desire to devote time to learning WP. I have over 35 years experience with technology - programming, design, database etc., so I am no novice to technology. This is what I found:

1) The documentation is very much oriented toward users who are already experienced with blogging/CMS (content management systems).

2) The product assumes lots of prior knowledge on how to run a website and maintain a site in an Internet world (e.g. backup/recovery, span control, database management, etc.).

3) There are many ways to develop a blog and it takes time to figure out the way that you may want to do it. The extensibility is there, within WP, but to discover the possibilites and deciding which one is most appropriate, takes time.

4) Support is unreliable. Sometimes you are able to get questions answered, and sometimes not. It can be frustrating.

5) Finding good hosting sites, is an effort onto itself. Simply asking for recommendations, will get you dozens of different replies. The recommendations on the WP site, may not necessarily be appropriate for you. For example, I originally chose Bluehost, which has excellent support, but my site's server was always being taken down for some sort of maintenance. I eventually changed to Hostgator, but this also takes time.

So, you need time, some background and experience, and you have to have the inclination. If you do not, I would recommend one of the hosted sites which are very popular. I would never recommend to one of my friends to go my route. However, I am attempting to build a substantial site, so it is worth my time.

Hope this gives you some additional info to ponder.

Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had no issues with WordPress, save spam problems. Even then, WP is a superior blogging system one that puts Blogger to shame.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes I agree with everyone else! WP is amazing, it is the best blogging software IMO, and its installation is very very easy! no need to be an expert in anything! if you are getting little help in the WP forums then it is probably due to the fact that your questions were asked before and have answers etc... did you use the search function there? did you read the documentation thoroughly?
    Do you have PHP/MySQL installed on your server and laptop? what about their versions?
    what problems did you exactly face Jacob?
    More details ?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I feel like i'm getting more help here than on WordPress.

When i use this link, http://www.worldconquerors.net/wordp...in/install.php, this is the error i get

Error establishing a database connection
    This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at mysql6.brinkster.com. This could mean your host's database server is down.

Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
    Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
    Are you sure that the database server is running?
    If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.
    My webhosting is with Brinkster.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have one database, which apparently works fine because i just installed a message board software by Simple Machinges. I had absolutely no problem installing it and it works. It used the same MySQL databse I'm trying to use for WP.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you create a new database for Wordpress? WHen you installed Simple Machines, you created a database for it right? Likewise you have to do so, create a new one for Word Press and name it appropriately.

Make sure the username, password and your mysql hosts are entered correctly.

So...
    1. Create database.
    2. Enter database name
    3. Enter correct Credentials.

Database name: whatever name you created
    Username: Database username
    Password: Password
    Host: generally "localhost" or check with your host, ask them.. or is it "mysql6.brinkster.com"

That's it.

Does your host allow you to create databases? If so how many? Who created the Database for Simple Machines? DId you install it manually or used Fantastico...?

Wordpress is probably the EASIEST thing to install.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastico?

As far as i understand Brinkster allows only one MySQL database. It has the same name as my username. Thus, i thought that WP would just add tables to it with a different prefix according to its needs. I didn't have to add a database, it was already there with my usename as the name of the database.

I assumed that this one database thingy might be pretty typical. Has anyone heard of this?

Guys, THANKS!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the info in wp-config.php file. Username and password have been changed.

PHP Code:

<?php
    // ** MySQL settings ** //
    define('DB_NAME''jacobpressures');    // The name of the database

//I tried jacobpressures alone also. Neither worked.
    define('DB_USER''brinkster.com\jacobpressures');     // Your MySQL username
    define('DB_PASSWORD''***78yzHEN'); // ...and password
    define('DB_HOST''mysql6.brinkster.com');    // 99% chance you won't need to change this value

// You can have multiple installations in one database if you give each a unique prefix
    $table_prefix  'wpxgw_';   // Only numbers, letters, and underscores please!

// Change this to localize WordPress.  A corresponding MO file for the
    // chosen language must be installed to wp-includes/languages.
    // For example, install de.mo to wp-includes/languages and set WPLANG to 'de'
    // to enable German language support.
    define ('WPLANG''');

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

define('ABSPATH'dirname(__FILE__).'/');
    require_once(
    ABSPATH.'wp-settings.php');
    ?>

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, I've figured out the problem.

On my work computer which is what i usually use, i can't access my FTP site. So i have to use my laptop with a dialup connection. Once i uploaded the page, I used my work computer again to pull everything up in the browser. Well, when i do that, i get an error message. But when i use my laptop, i get the install page.

I don't understand why that is, but this is what is happening apparently.

I had to disconnect but I'm going to try it again and see.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YEs that is the problem. Everytime i try the install.php link on my laptop, it works. When i do it on my work computer, it doesn't.

Now i don't know why it does this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress isn't junk, it's a code masterpiece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kasted View Post
    Yea man, i love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobpressures View Post
    YEs that is the problem. Everytime i try the install.php link on my laptop, it works. When i do it on my work computer, it doesn't.

Now i don't know why it does this.
    Sounds like a local problem on your work computer. Are you sure that you got the message that said it couldn't connect to the database while on your work computer? If so that is really weird. I'm no developer by any means, but the fact that whether or not a script is able to connect to the local database should depend on the computer you are using, sounds like a magic trick to me.

Hopefully someone more experienced will come in and clear this all up for us. It's always nice to see those good magic tricks revealed

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Agree totally, many hours have been spent shaping this great piece of software. I've just learnt how to implement it as a CMS also - It's very powerful, free and simple to use.