SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article higher ranked than site

An article that I wrote (with PR 0) is ranked higher than the site I optimized my keyword for (PR 3). Is this normal? How long does it take for Google to realize how many backlinks I've obtained recently? I've gotten about 20 PR0-PR3 backlinks and a couple PR4-PR5's within the past 3 days.

I was on page 2 for my optimized keyword due to a backlink from a PR5 site, which I've lost. I recently just gained it back. How long will it take Google to index this? Is there a way to find out the last time Google indexed a page?

EDIT: Upon further inspection, I just realized that I am on page 1 for (example) "how to dance" if you use quotations, but I am nowhere in sight for how to dance without quotations. However, I USED to be listed on page 2 for the one without quotations. I do not use quotations in my backlinks. How can I optimize for the keyword without the quotations or is my current method fine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest using Google Webmaster Tools to see info like when your site was last crawled. Many of the questions here are basic SEO questions - have you read the SEO FAQ?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question about quotations in the search term is not a basic SEO question...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, well searching with quotations is an advanced query. The actual quotations are not counted in the search, so it does not matter that you don't put quotation marks in your anchor text. The quotation marks are simply telling Google you want that exact match, please.

If you are turning up for how to dance with quotations, but not without I would say this is to do with your linking strategy. Google uses the content and anchor text to form a judgement of the category of your website as well as the content of each individual page.

If you are only showing up for "how to dance" could I guess correctly that this is the only real anchor text you have link built with? I would suggest some equal variation between varied key phrases, as 300 inbounds with "how to dance" doesn't look very natural.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned, searching for "how to dance" is asking the SE to return results that have that exact phrase. Searching for 'how to dance' (no quotes used) is asking the SE to ideally return results with:

how to dance
    how... to... dance
    any results with these three words anywhere on the page
    any results with any of these words on the page

Keep in mind that individually, the SEs may see the words how and to as stop words, insignificant and far to common... so they may hold lesser value in searching. They may also see "how to" as a unique combination of words, but again, you are competing against every "how to" website around.

Keep in mind that "how to dance" is probably a very competitive search phrase. So you might be better off working further down the tail.... how to ballroom dance or how to dance ballroom. Better yet, more powerful phrases like "how to ballroom dance like a pro" might yield even greater value... but you need to do some keyword research to figure out what these power phrases are.

As for how long it will take for Google to see the backlinks, there is no way of knowing and it is completely out of your control. We're talking about how long it will take for Google to re-index or spider the individual pages on the different sites where you have backlinks on... this will vary by site and by page. The best answer here is the same answer for everything else regarding SEO... that it will take time.

good luck
    Identity Developments - SEO Focused Web Design
    It's not about websites, it's about your identity.

| Credit Card Apps |

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not optimizing for "how to dance." That was just an example.

The problem is, I once had a PR5 backlink (just one!) with the anchor text "how to dance" and I was almost immediately on page 2.

Now I have about 20 backlinks optimized for "how to dance" and I'm not even listed.

Also, if I'm coming up for "how to dance" (with quotes) but not how to dance, should I be optimizing for keywords such as simply "dance"? Would that help my ranking for "how to dance"?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those 20 links may have nowhere near the weight of your PR5 link. If they are PR1 links for example you'll need thousands to account for the same weight at PR5 since PR is exponential.

As suggested, try other terms about dancing in your anchor text to give Google a better idea of the site content. Also, try optimising seperate types of dancing on seperate pages, then link em all together from inside the articles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "how to dance" may be an example, by chances are, whatever your "real" terms are, they are also probably fairly competitive.

There is no point trying to optimize around a one word term... unless it is so obscure, you'll not likely gain much ground. Even two word terms can be rather challenging.

Most "average" players are going to need to target 3-5 word phrases. That doesn't mean that each of these 3-5 are completely different. Do your keyword research and identify keyword clusters...

word1 word2 word3
    word1 word2 word3 word4
    word1 word2 word3 word 4 word5
    word6 word1 word2 word3
    word2 word3 word4
    word2 word3 word4 word5

Find the 2 or 3 main phrases that align with your page that you are trying to optimize. If some of these overlap, bringing in other related phrases, you may find that you can build on this for your page.

Also, look for related phrases to these terms that would make sense as well.
    Identity Developments - SEO Focused Web Design
    It's not about websites, it's about your identity.

| Credit Card Apps |