SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS, Photoshop, how to use both

I've studied CSS for a while, and finally I'm understanding it. I have an old version of Photoshop and am in the process of learning how to use it. I find that Photoshop tutorials assume you will use a full page graphic for layout. How can I learn to design something slick in Photoshop, yet not relying on a full page graphic and coded with CSS ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you design a page in Photoshop all you have is a big image of the page (like a screenshot). When you're a designer its common practice to make 3 different designs (big images - screenshots, also called mock-ups) that you show to the client to pick one of them. When the client is satisfied with the looks of it, the designer logically chops that big image into smaller ones, like for example one image for logo, one image for list bullets, one small image of a gradient that will be tiled accross the page to make a nice background... Then the designer sends those images to the programmer who uses them to build html and css code.

dont take the above too literally, i was just trying to make a difference between the design and coding parts.

you most often wont have an entire image for the page background. Lots of background colors, colors, and borders can be declared through css, it would be an overkill to use images for things that can easily be made in css.

also some images go into html - those relevant for content (logo), and others go into css (decorative purposes).

the bottom line is those tutorials are made from the designers point of view. Before coding begins the mock-up needs to be chopped up, and in order to do that the person chopping it up should have at least some understanding of css - how the coding goes. I guess the coder can always give instructions to the designer about how to slice it up, although coders often do it for themselves.

so if you want to learn to use Photoshop and CSS, you can learn them separately. Learn different effects in Photoshop to make dazzling designs, and learn css well so you'll know how to slice it all up before you begin coding (you can slice during the coding too).

hope this clears it up a bit