SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SQL Database (and PHP) design question.

Hello, I started out on a project that I thought would be fairly simple, but I already feel I'm in over my head. What I'd like to do is this: Create a form that would allow my relatives to easily enter in family information into an SQL database which I could then use to update geneology information in a GEDit Com file (which is a standard geneology format). Ideally, this information would simply be stored in some format that would make it directly transferable - but I am not so ambitious. I would simply like to have a nice print out of the data so that I could copy and paste the information over myself. The reason that this project is complicated is that it would work a lot easier for those entering the data if it were not simply a flat form, but worked more dynamically. For instance, when entering a spouse, it would be nice to choose the name from a pop-up list of other people in the database if he or she has already been entered as someone elses son or daughter. Similarly, I would like to collect contact information for those who are submitting data, and I don't want them to have to re-enter the data every time they fill out another form (for another family). It becomes more complicated when you realize that people may have multiple marriages and divorces, many children etc. but I want the data entry to be simple and not consume much time. I figured that rather than wasting lots of time trying all the different options I would see if anyone with more experience (I have none) with database design might have some suggestions (or even a similar database/php script already developed that I could simply adapt to meet my needs). Thank you very much for your help.

kerim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I assume that you little experience with database driven applications or is it more of a database design question?
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com