SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forms + innerHTML + FF = A Mess!

I'm encountering a problem when trying to modify the innerHTML of a div when the div contains a <form></form> element.

Is there a way to fix this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    InnerHTML has its limitations. You're probably better off using the W3C DOM methods, which are more efficient anyway, as they can make modifications without as much reliance on the HTML rendering engine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, you should use createElement and appendChild insted of innerHTML. By using them you will ensure it is acting like you want it too... but one thing people commonly do is try and set an attribute after they create it... remember to set all it's attributes before it is appended.

-ALL
    Did I help you?
    You can repay me, support one of my projects (no money needed):
    JavaScript Wiki, Another Web Forum, Paranormal Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Show us the code that doesn't work in Firefox, it might have errors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here. I uploaded this so you can see what I'm trying to do. See, it works the first link you click, but after that, you have to click a link twice to make it work properly. It's just weird! I'm new to javascript.

http://www.gradr.com/woot.php#

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    play with this:

HTML Code:
    <head>
    <script type="text/javascript">

function stockSymbol(){
    if(document.getElementById('stock').className=='selected') return false;
    document.getElementById('stock').className='selected';
    document.getElementById('company').className='';
    document.getElementById('user').className='';
    //document.getElementById('search').innerHTML='stock symbol | <a href="#" onclick="companyName()">company name</a> | <a href="#" onclick="userName()">user</a>';
    document.getElementById('bar').innerHTML="<form class=poop action=\"http:\/\/www.gradr.com/stocks/search_list.php?search_type=company_name&search_string=\" method=\"get\"><input id=search name=search_string class=box type=text maxlength=25 size=30><input type=\"Submit\" class=go value=\"GO\"><br><font class=detail>enter stock symbol e.g. \"GOOG\"</font><br></form>";
    document.getElementsByName('search_string')[0].focus();
    }

function companyName(){
    if(document.getElementById('company').className=='selected') return false;
    document.getElementById('company').className='selected';
    document.getElementById('stock').className='';
    document.getElementById('user').className='';
    //document.getElementById('search').innerHTML='<a href="#" onclick="stockSymbol()">stock symbol</a> | company name | <a href="#" onclick="userName()">user</a>';
    document.getElementById('bar').innerHTML="<form class=poop action=\"http:\/\/www.gradr.com/stocks/search_list.php?search_type=company_name&search_string=\" method=\"get\"><input id=search name=search_string class=box type=text maxlength=25 size=30><input type=\"Submit\" class=go value=\"GO\"><br><font class=detail>enter company name e.g. \"Google\"</font><br></form>";
    }

function userName(){
    if(document.getElementById('user').className=='selected') return false;
    document.getElementById('user').className='selected';
    document.getElementById('stock').className='';
    document.getElementById('company').className='';
    //document.getElementById('search').innerHTML='<a href="#" onclick="stockSymbol()">stock symbol</a> | <a href="#" onclick="companyName()">company name</a> | user';
    document.getElementById('bar').innerHTML="<form class=poop action=\"http:\/\/www.gradr.com/stocks/search_list.php?search_type=company_name&search_string=\" method=\"get\"><input id=search name=search_string class=box type=text maxlength=25 size=30><input type=\"Submit\" class=go value=\"GO\"><br><font class=detail>enter username e.g. \"sona\"</font><br></form>";
    }

</script>
    <style type="text/css">
    .selected{
    	text-decoration:none;
    	color:#000000;
    	cursor:default;
    }
    </style>
    </head>

<div id="search">

<a href="#" id="stock" class="selected" onclick="return stockSymbol()">stock symbol</a> | <a href="#" id="company" onclick="return companyName()">company name</a> | <a href="#" id="user" onclick="return userName()">user</a> 

</div>

<div id="bar">

<form class=poop action="http://www.gradr.com/stocks/search_list.php?search_type=company_name&search_string=" method="get"><input id=search name=search_string class=box type=text maxlength=25 size=30><input type="Submit" class=go value="GO"><br><font class=detail>enter stock symbol e.g. "GOOG"</font><br></form>

</div>
    I have it never actually alter the innerHTML of your problem, what i do insted is created a simple stylesheet that faked that it was not a link when it was... then on the one that was selected i just returned false causing it not to do anything.
    Did I help you?
    You can repay me, support one of my projects (no money needed):
    JavaScript Wiki, Another Web Forum, Paranormal Site