SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google not finding all my website urls? (using sitemap)

Hey all,

Google is not finding my URL's... any ideas why? I use a sitemap at www.redtreedesign.com/sitemap.xml that clearly includes them all.

They include the basics like www.redtreedesign.com/services but they don't include www.redtreedesign.com/services/web-design

Any ideas?

Thx,
    Jp

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyhow have any ideas?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The sitemap does tell tell them were the pages are but they'll still crawl and index them as they see fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Building inbound, quality links will encourage Google to crawl your site deeper and index these pages.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thetafferboy83 View Post
    Building inbound, quality links will encourage Google to crawl your site deeper and index these pages.
    Yeah, listen to this guy. Email everyone in the world and ask them to link to you.

Ask me if I'll link to you. The answer is no. See how easy it is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    Yeah, listen to this guy. Email everyone in the world and ask them to link to you.

Ask me if I'll link to you. The answer is no. See how easy it is?
    Or make some content that is worth link to and people will..... Or, listen to cheesedude, because nobody links on the Internet lol

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Or make some content that is worth link to and people will..... Or, listen to cheesedude, because nobody links on the Internet lol
    Um, 99.9% of internet users are not webmasters.

There is an entire cottage industry devoted to the buying, selling, and trading of links.

Where you been? Under a rock? Don't you know this stuff?

How many of the actual links out on the internet are real and not bought, sold, or reciprocal links intended to fool Google into thinking they are more popular than they really are? Why do people pay money--sometimes hundreds of dollars--to get a link on a high PR page?

How about YOU link to me and everyone else who wants a link?

If someone asked me to link to them, I most likely wouldn't do it. And if I did, it would be on my low-value "links" page.

http://groups.google.com/group/Google_Webmaster_Help

Read...you may just learn something. I guess there's a lot of conspiracy theorists out there, huh?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to know anything about SEO to see the value to your visitors of linking out to a worthwhile resource. None of the links on my sites have been bought, or even requested by the sites I link to. I link to those sites because I myself have found them useful in the past. If I find them useful, the chances are my site's visitors will find them useful.

I'm not denying that buying/selling links is a big industry, I'm just saying that people do actually link naturally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, 99.9% of internet users are not webmasters.

There is an entire cottage industry devoted to the buying, selling, and trading of links.

Where you been? Under a rock? Don't you know this stuff?

How many of the actual links out on the internet are real and not bought, sold, or reciprocal links intended to fool Google into thinking they are more popular than they really are? Why do people pay money--sometimes hundreds of dollars--to get a link on a high PR page?

How about YOU link to me and everyone else who wants a link?

If someone asked me to link to them, I most likely wouldn't do it. And if I did, it would be on my low-value "links" page.

http://groups.google.com/group/Google_Webmaster_Help

Read...you may just learn something. I guess there's a lot of conspiracy theorists out there, huh?
    But there are are billions of web pages, it doesnt matter if 99.9% of web sufers are not web masters - where is this stat from anyway? You keep repearing it.. If I e-mail somebody and say "hey, would you link to this article on my site, it would add value for your users" how is that not a "real" link? Buying links maybe be a "cottage industry" but it's no good for SEO.

I don't mind linking to somebody if they provide good information, I do it all them time in fact. Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as they are good sites, it doesn't harm my ranking.

There will always be a lot of conspiracy theorists, just like how people used to believe in witches. If you can't understand or explain something, make up a wild theory, huh?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    You don't need to know anything about SEO to see the value to your visitors of linking out to a worthwhile resource. None of the links on my sites have been bought, or even requested by the sites I link to. I link to those sites because I myself have found them useful in the past. If I find them useful, the chances are my site's visitors will find them useful.

I'm not denying that buying/selling links is a big industry, I'm just saying that people do actually link naturally.
    I link to sites that I find useful, too. However, those are on my "links" page. Lots of websites have links pages and they are typically of very low PR. Therefore, it will be of low value to the linkee with respect to Google. "Get incoming links..." But what value are PR0 links in the eyes of Google?

My site is a bit of a niche site. Let's say old Aunt Gladys puts up a webpage about her favorite lutefisk recipes. How many incoming links do you think she's going to get? Not many!!! Is her information not relevant to the people who are searching for it? Of course it is. If she has few incoming links, Google is not going to give it much weight, and it is going to end up in Supplemental where NOBODY will find it. Nobody will see Aunt Gladys' stinky fish recipes.

I can search Google for a phrase in quotes thats on one of my Supplemental pages and no results are returned. I can search Yahoo or MSN for that phrase and I can get a result.

When people say "get incoming links to get your pages out of supplemental", how many links does it take? Will Aunt Gladys get her pages out of supplemental so people can find them?

4-1/2 years ago I registered a domain name with my name. I submitted it to Google. Google indexed it right away. When I searched Google for my name 4-1/2 years ago, my page was returned--in the top 10 results with no quotes used in the search. Now, it isn't returned at all. It's one page with my name and email address on it. I did it specifically so people I've known or worked with in the past could easily find me by searching the internet. You never know when an old contact can be useful.

How many links am I going to get to a small webpage with my name on it? What about others in my same position? Before MySpace, I ran across lots of small webpages like that. Are our 1-page websites with our contact information not worthy of being found by anyone who might search for them?

People want information. If Joe Smith is searching the internet looking for Bob Chisowski, don't you think Joe Smith would want to find Bob's webpage regardless if it had enough incoming links?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There will always be a lot of conspiracy theorists, just like how people used to believe in witches. If you can't understand or explain something, make up a wild theory, huh?
    When you have hundreds or thousands of people all saying the same thing--and speaking from first-hand experience--you may want to consider that it is not a conspiracy theory and could possibly--possibly--be something real.

You'll find no shortage of posts on Sitepoint from people who:

1) Can't get indexed by Google
    2) Can't get indexed beyond main page
    3) Have 1-year-old versions of their pages Cached by Google
    4) Drop in the SERPs beneath irrelevant results for no reason
    5) Disappear from the search results completely.

I experienced #1 for the first 4 months my site was live. I experienced #2 from months 4 - 7. I experienced #3 from month 4 to month 11. I've never experienced #4 because I've never ranked, so I can't possibly drop. I've never been in the results except for explicit searches for the name of my website, so I've never experienced #5.

Plenty of people have, however, and it is no conspiracy theory.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's say old Aunt Gladys puts up a webpage about her favorite lutefisk recipes. How many incoming links do you think she's going to get?
    I'm sorry but being very literal I'm going to just stick to the example you gave

The competition for "lutefisk recipes" is almost non-existent so Aunt Gladys won't need many links to rank highly for it. Because there is little competition for this phrase, anyone with a site related to lutefisk is going to find her pages and may want to link to them because that would be useful for their visitors. There's an entry in Wikipedia devoted to lutefisk, so she might be able to add a link to her page there (I would recommend this to her if you want her to carry on knitting you those teddy bear jumpers every Christmas).

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find no shortage of posts on Sitepoint from people who:

1) Can't get indexed by Google
    2) Can't get indexed beyond main page
    3) Have 1-year-old versions of their pages Cached by Google
    4) Drop in the SERPs beneath irrelevant results for no reason
    5) Disappear from the search results completely.

I experienced #1 for the first 4 months my site was live. I experienced #2 from months 4 - 7. I experienced #3 from month 4 to month 11. I've never experienced #4 because I've never ranked, so I can't possibly drop. I've never been in the results except for explicit searches for the name of my website, so I've never experienced #5.

Plenty of people have, however, and it is no conspiracy theory.
    So basically you're bitter about how Google chooses to index and rank sites.

Sucks to be you I guess.

In response to your original diatribe, if you put up useful information that can't be found just anywhere (so no rehashed crap) you'll get linked to naturally. But it never hurts to do a little ground work to get the ball rolling.

If you're not patient enough to wait for natural rankings or if you're in a competitive field then you may have to buy links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, all I've got out of this thread is that cheesedude is cheesed off at Google and would rather we use Yahoo search. Don't know about said preference, but I want to rank on Google, Yahoo and MSN/Live(whatever it's iteration at the moment).

Anyway, good copyediting, useful content and several good sites that find your information interesting enough to link to, combined with time and a sitemap will get you in Google.

Expect no quick and easy overnight rise in rank and also try to find something that makes you stand out in a market that is pretty much oversaturated. A Google search on terms related to web hosting, web design , etc. gives you 80-480 million websites to try to compete with.

Google search for "site:www.redtreedesign.com inurl:www.redtreedesign.com" gives me 26 pages with the added "inurl:services" giving me a total of six pages in your services directory including your web-design page:

Louisville Web Design and Web Development - RedTree Design
    W3C Validator W3C CSS Validator Site Designed With No Tables! ABOUT SERVICES PORTFOLIO CLIENT ACCESS CONTACT. You are here: Home > Services > Web ...
    www.redtreedesign.com/services/web-design - 5k - Cached - Similar pages
    You appear to only have 24 pages listed in your sitemap.xml, so Google seems to know that all your pages exist.
    Released under the Fiasco Labs Digital Damnation Copywright,
    it's yours to make whatever the 7734 you want with it.

(c) 2005 Fiasco Labs All Wrongs Reserved