SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Logo Contest!!!!

What if you start a logo contest and you don't like any of the logos designed, do you still have to pay someone the money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there is no legally binding contract but, it's a respectable thing to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if paying someone for a logo you don't like just because "its the respectable thing to do" is the right thing. You can keep telling people what you like and don't like, maybe giving them some examples of logos designs you do like to help them get a better understanding for your personal taste is a better option.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you start a contest and absolutely nothing looks right, no you don't HAVE to announce a winner and pay someone. Unfortunately this happens sometimes.

Here are some tips to help avoid that situation:

1. give constant and frquent feedback to all contestants.
    2. Create a very detailed brief that gives contestants a good idea of what you are looking for.
    3. If you see something that COULD possibly work, work with that designer to help them refine it.
    4. Extend your contest if need be.
    Sara

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi , Im a designer my self and i feel you shouldnt be put under the impression of paying even though your not 100% satisfied.

As a client you should give feedback on good designs you like and tell the contest entry authors what is missing, dont feel bad if you have alot of entries and none are your taste. The main thing is to keep expressing what logos you like what you like/dislike. Members would work to the maximun of your imagination if needs be they want the prize.

Patrick

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I agree its not fair for people to make logos and then not choose a winner but at the same time it wouldnt be fair for someone to be forced to buy a logo that they can't use.

You can provide feedback to help but if nothing stands out then you shouldnt pick one. I think I can't post a contest anyway its not ment for low budgets. The minimum prize is $100 and that doesn't include the $20 I need just to post the contest. By the time I am done I am spending nearly $150 and I can't afford that much right now.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklazy View Post
    By the time I am done I am spending nearly $150 and I can't afford that much right now.
    For 0 budget, you might be helped by this: http://cooltext.com/
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you say upfront, that if you are not happy with any of the entries, that you reserve the right not to chose a winner, then I dont see a problem with that. Always best to promote the contest well, so that you do get some good entries.
    Internet Business - Blog about starting an Internet Business.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hostjet View Post
    Always best to promote the contest well, so that you do get some good entries.

Description is important. As a contest participant most of the times I dont bother entering the contest if it has poor description. Try to leave prompt feedback from the start, it draws in more designers because for them it seems like youre serious about it and there are less chances of this contest being abandoned, also by reading your feedback for others they will get a better idea of what you need before they even enter.

If all that didn't help then you just lost 20 dollars, hope that won't happen.