SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

strict vs Transitional?

Which is better for a website strict or Transitional html?

thanks for any input

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strict.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

transitional

Transitional is just that, - transitional. It's not supposed to be used as a "less strict". Although I guess how long the transition lasts is open to various interpretations.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what are the benefits of using strict over transitional?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1510 View Post
    Less tags/attributes to remember, more presentational stuff moved to CSS.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1510 View Post
    much greater control over how unknown browsers will interpret your code

what are "unknown browsers" you ask?

out of the approximately 937 different browsers and browser versions out there, the unknown ones are the ones you haven't tested your site in

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    out of the approximately 937 different browsers and browser versions out there, the unknown ones are the ones you haven't tested your site in
    937!!!!

OK, I have 936, I'm missing one.
    SMILE! everyone will wonder what you're up to.
    Site - under construction - again

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

learning

I've just started learning XHTML & CSS, and i've decided to stick with the strict doc type. Down with tables and frames!

seems the strict doc type will become more common place in future..so thats why i've gone for it, also i think it has something to do with XML, which is probably something i'll move onto once i have a sound and solid base.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its important that you should take a look through this topic before you decide to use strict/css

http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.browser/browse_frm/thread/cf5e9e04363da506/a8cede7f4a3b5b08

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    kwah, could you give a short one-sentence summary of the main point of that thread?

i tried to read it but it was largely noise
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, both of them have their weaknesses and strong points. If you use transitional, then designing and coding a site will make it more easier for you, and you can use more tags. Whereas when you use strict, it really is "strict", so you'll spend more time trying to make your coding confrm to the rules.

I personally use Transitional, it gives you more leeway.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah sorry -- it basically shows conclusivly divs/css are buggy and (if you care about firefox users being able to view your site) then divs are a big no-no's
    -
    i posted this because currently there are heated debates about the use of tables vs divs

strict dtd's use css, and css commonly restricted to divs. i just wanted to point out the problems associated with strict dtd/css/divs

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's best to get into the XHTML habit with Strict. You will have to eventually, might as well start off on the right foot. I'd never recommend Transitional to anyone, ever.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it certainly seems that way - the world of markup languages are turning towards xhtml strict with css
    unfortunatly, that means beginners need to learn two languages -- a daunting prospect for any beginner

basically, im just trying to say that strict dtd is best for those who have previous experience with css, but transitional for those who are learning it or want to stay away from it

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yeah sorry -- it basically shows conclusivly divs/css are buggy and (if you care about firefox users being able to view your site) then divs are a big no-no's
    -
    i posted this because currently there are heated debates about the use of tables vs divs
    strict dtd's use css, and css commonly restricted to divs. i just wanted to point out the problems associated with strict dtd/css/divs
    Few think this way these days, the benifits of a strict DTD, and good use of CSS for presentation is the only way to go in my humble opinion of course...
    it certainly seems that way - the world of markup languages are turning towards xhtml strict with css
    unfortunatly, that means beginners need to learn two languages -- a daunting prospect for any beginner
    They go hand in hand, HTML and CSS. You first learn what the tags are to describe the content - and then you learn different styles to change the look of those elements.
    HTML and XHTML are basically the same thing, the main thing you want to do is learn semantic markup - and not use presentational markup.
    tags like <center>, <font> etc.. should be avoided because they are presentation, where <h1>, <ul>, <strong> describe the content they are surrounding.

Good luck

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    Few think this way these days, the benifits of a strict DTD, and good use of CSS for presentation is the only way to go in my humble opinion of course...
    i agree -- but for now, as the article i linked to previously shows, you have to be careful because of the many bugs surrounding the relavtively new languages (ie, CSS and and xHTML)
    i feel ive started a small amount of confusion though -- by linking CSS and xHTML and divs etc to the simple question of '' Strict DTD vs Transitional DTD?? ''

Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    They go hand in hand, HTML and CSS. You first learn what the tags are to describe the content - and then you learn different styles to change the look of those elements.
    HTML and XHTML are basically the same thing, the main thing you want to do is learn semantic markup - and not use presentational markup.
    tags like <center>, <font> etc.. should be avoided because they are presentation, where <h1>, <ul>, <strong> describe the content they are surrounding.
    for now, im sticking to presentational markup cos i dont like CSS -- its great and all and i wouldnt dare try to dissuade anybody from using it but it just doesnt suit me