SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to find the value of a forum...

I have a forum that I'm not interested in selling (ever), but I'd like to know how much it is worth in terms of sell-able value.

video game genre
    40k members
    100+ new registrations/day
    200-400 online at any given time (never less than 200, maxed at 800)
    ~$30/day income
    8-13k unique visits/day

I know that based on 1 year's income, it'd be worth about $11,000.

But what about memberships? I get a ton of organic SE traffic, and a lot of memberships. I would think that each registered user would add to the value of the site, but in which way?

Thanks!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more members you have, the more potential customers. I'm sure that a lot of people would be interested in making that kind of money from the web, especially when the members make most of the content. People would pay extra for the content, and the members, and the Search engine rankings. There are a lot of good things going for your site, and if it is making $11,000 per year, then it is definetly worth many times more than that!
    I'm sure that many people are wondering how you have made such a great site. Could you share some of your promotion advice with us? What is the URL of this forum?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any ballpark figure for what its worth?

I'd rather not disclose the link, I have great relationship with my community and dont want them to think I'm interested in selling it.

As far as promotion goes, I try to form relationships (biggy) with non-forum-competitive webmasters in the same genre to gain large chunks of traffic from sites without forums. SE rankings with main site pages (normal pages) are great for very general content. I keep advertising to a bare minimum and have a great (large, quality) volunteer moderation team made up of the prominent, most intelligent, able members.

Thats really the only key

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to the correct forum
    Rick

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry but website appraisals are not allowed. If you would like to read a guide for determining the value of your website read, "How do I value my website?".