User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Making guests stay and register

Hey guys.

I run AVENGEX, a tutorials, forums and resources community aimed at young webmasters.

I get a load of hits from guests every day from tutorial indexing sites, but most notably Google with about twice as many from any other tutorial index (mainly Pixel2Life.com)

I've been looking at getting some of these guests to register, and so far I've got adverts for guests only, meaning that when they register and log in none are displayed. I've also restricted access to the forums and some of the resources to members only. I'm also now looking at limiting guests to only 10 tutorials and then they will have to register.

I don't know where to go next, so have any of you lot got any criticism on what I'm doing already, or any other ideas? Perhaps a few case studies or examples could help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you're just trying to make some money out of your site with the popups, but i really don't think they are a good way to do it. most web developers (I am 17 by the way) are pretty stubborn and I, on principle, will leave pretty much any website with popups straight away. I would take these off completely and put banner or google ads on. and I would maybe remove the banner ad but leave on the google ad for registered users, so you still might make some money out of them, otherwise you're kind of conflicting with yourself.... if you get me.

other than that....I don't know how you could improve...."With a twist"? What's the twist I dont get that. And you say it's for young webmasters? well....in what way, it looks the same as any other webmaster forum to me...

only other thing i could suggest immediately is u have quite a full navigation area on the left...maybe you could have bigger links to the main areas highlighted on the homepage....like the forum and whatever?

hope that helps
    pP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While registering to get rid of ads may sound tempting to someone, it isn't really. We've become so used to seeing ads on websites over the past 10 years that we're able to ignore them.

You'll need something more than that to entice young webmasters to hop onto your website, there are SO MANY tutorial websites and webmaster resource websites out there that you need something unique to make them sign up. And figuring out that unique thing is the hardest part.
    Ultimate X:
    Brand spanking new layout, very pretty.
    All of your Ultimate Marvel needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well when i look to your website and think that there are many many others providing tutorials just like you, i don't think i would take the time to register. The layout doesn't tell me enough to think: "Hey let's join the community". You probably have a great knowledge of PHP etc. and lots of good content. But maybe make the site a bit more interactive with the users and create a layout that looks like the way they want it.
    Painlessdesigns.net - Graphics and Design
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Painlessdesigns.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the critique. However, I'd deem the whole thing unique on a site category level, but maybe not if you generalize it further.

As for the young webmasters thing, I'm 16 by the way, mostly everyone else on that site is under 25 and we're more of an intermediate designer community as opposed to the real whizzes who are about 30+ (market research )

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiousity, how much money do you get per day from ads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that turns me off is that the site looks too generic. It looks like it was done with some free template using some free CMS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jooles View Post
    One thing that turns me off is that the site looks too generic. It looks like it was done with some free template using some free CMS.
    I second on that, you need a better design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lodist View Post
    Just out of curiousity, how much money do you get per day from ads?
    Oh not much, a few cents a day if I'm lucky. When I'm 18 I'm going to switch to Adsense ads, but you need to be over 18 with a bank account in order to use Adsense. I've heard the turnover is pretty good if you strategically place them.

Quote Originally Posted by jooles View Post
    How so?