SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building a MB/Forum

Hi All,

I'm in the process of building my very first MB.

I hired someone to do it & he listed all the forums, but now I'm not sure I want them in that layout since it looks too long & drawn out.

So, I asked him how to change them & he's saying it will take a long time to change them, there's no easy way.

Is he right, do I have to delete them all & start from scratch?

I'm using VBulletin of course & here's the URL... www.share-toronto.com

It also sounds like I need to hire a user interface person. Right? the person who helps to design the layout.

Thanks

Michelle

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exoticpublishing View Post
    Is he right, do I have to delete them all & start from scratch?
    No, you don't have to delete them all and start from scratch. vbulletin makes it pretty easy to move things around and modify settings.

If you're looking to completely change your forum structure, names, descriptions, etc - it might be easier to start from scratch, although that is not certain. I suppose it depends on exactly how you plan to change the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by exoticpublishing View Post
    It also sounds like I need to hire a user interface person. Right? the person who helps to design the layout.
    You could always keep it as it is with your site header used on the default vb skin. Or, make any wanted changes yourself. Other than that, yes, you would probably need to hire a designer or buy a premade skin and have it installed for you.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

Ok, so how do I move things around easily, b/c the guy I hired doesn't seem to know.

As for the user interface, I wasn't talking about design, I was talking about the layout of the forums only.

I'm already getting the design changed & a logo done.

What skins does VB have? Is there a charge?

Thanks

Michelle

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your vB admincp there's a section titled "Forums & Moderators." Below that is a sub-section titled "Forum Manager." Within the Forum Manager area are links to a configuration page for all the categories, forums & sub-forums. On the config page for a specific category/forum you can change the parent forum as well as other config options. Changing the parent forum will move the section along with its sub-sections to be under the new parent area that you select. Also, the order that forums are listed can be changed from the Forum Manager page by changing the display order numbers then clicking the 'save display order' button at the bottom of the page.

To change the layout of the forums you'll probably want to have someone familiar with modifying vb templates do that for you as it would require changing the page formatting html/php code within the templates for the pages where you need changes. Just to be sure that I'm understanding correctly what you are wanting to do - you are wanting to change the actual page layout of the forums and not just organizing the forums differently, correct?

You can get pre-skins from sites such as www.vbskinworks.com , www.extremepixels.com , www.forummonkeys.com , etc. The sites I listed do charge for their designs, although I believe there are a few sites with skins that can be used for free.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are several free themes, although they will require a link back most of the time. vbulletin.org is one of the best places to hunt down some free themes. you can only view and download if you register with the same information as your vbulletin.com email address.

also for support on how to customize your forums, id head over to vbulletin.com one of the things they are most known for is their support.

good luck