SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is it safe to say "AJAX or nothing"?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 14.81%
  • No

23 85.19%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AJAX Or Nothing

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxidomasx View Post
    yea, and on an unlimited budget I'm sure many sites would love to accommodate every single possible client-end setup.
    The beauty of it is you don't have to. The key concept is called progressive enhancement, and it works like this:
    1. Write the code so that it works with the simplest user agent: anything that supports HTTP and HTML.
    2. Add 'bells and whistles' unobtrusively: images, CSS, JavaScript, Flash, MathML, SVG, embedded video, ...

This is far easier, and usually yields much better accessibility, than the older concept known as graceful degradation:
    1. Write the code for top-of-the-line user agents, including all cool features.
    2. Try to make each feature degrade gracefully if not supported.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to a seminar thing at the weekend which included a talk from a chap about Unobtrusive Javascript in particular with respect to Ruby on Rails.

He said exactly what Tommy has just said plus he said that it saved him a lot of time doing it that way round too. Now he only used progressive enhancement rather than the other way around.

Plus there he mentioned several additions to the Prototype library which help make it much easier for designers to build in accessibility to their sites without extra effort.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

there was also a chap saying "b*llocks", but that's another matter
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redux View Post
    Off Topic:

there was also a chap saying "b*llocks", but that's another matter

Could be worse - could be talking b*llocks!
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailslide View Post
    He said exactly what Tommy has just said plus he said that it saved him a lot of time doing it that way round too.
    The difference is probably that he was paid.

If you're interested in this, I'd recommend that you keep an eye on Accessites.org the next few days or so. I happen to know that there's a very interesting article on its way ...
    (It should be online already, but a site redesign seems to have got in the way.)
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    If we give it up to strict security policies, it's not gonna make it through. However, I agree that such an important parts as user login should be left as simple as possible and a site can't be fully based on AJAX alone, not to mention SEO.
    My bolding.

Relevant cite:
    Christian Darie et al. (2006) "AJAX and PHP" Packt Publishing page 84.

"Opera is indeed the safest browser in the world."

Also recommended "Connecting to Remote Servers and Java Script Security" page 79.

Note in addition to AJAX based on the XMLHttpRequest object, there is an alternative based on hidden (i)Frames with it's own problems.