User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HostRocket???

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my control panel works fine, but I am not sure...I will eat and update you when I am back...

[UPDATE I]
    Ahh...what a wonderful meal

Yeah, the control panel works. There isn't a whole lot to do there, but it works.

[UPDATE II]
    It's 3:30 MDT and still no word.
    ------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

[This message has been edited by trcfreebies (edited June 21, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by trcfreebies (edited June 21, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol TRC. Maybe my dinner will be good. Don't know what I am having yet though! I sent an email to HR today, and got an answer! Did you TRC? They said that my control panel and statistics would be set up when they install the new server this weeken! Yay.... Although, I am having trouble setting up the email though. If any of you use HostRocket, and have ICQ or AIM, and will help me learn how to use the POP email on HR, then please email me at sting13@rose.net! Thanks!

------------------
    rtsdesign.com and taylorstrooper.com Coming Soon!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They just e-mailed me. My logfiles work now, but they didn't mention anything about a stats page yet...I am pretty sure it is the same as yours though.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would have gone a long way if "hostfree" had posted here to update everyone...would have reflected very favorably on HostRocket/HostFree.cc - an outage is tolerable (IMO) if you have the owner updating you throughout the fixing process...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fully agree TWT. If they would had posted on here or anywhere for that matter, updating their users, then it would have been fine! They decided however to just stay off for some reason, go figure!

------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have been with Hostrocket for about 3 weeks now. I had emailed them several days ago because I was really pissed off about the downtime and they replied and said that they are giving me 2 months of free hosting for both my accounts. They said that the upgrade should be done very soon. I don't think it is quite done yet, but atleast they are willing to give me free hosting for downtime.

I am going to give them another week of this upgrade thing before I get really mad. I will definately let them know what is on my mind then.

Chris Roane

------------------
    DevStorm.com
    WSResource.com
    FreeWebSiteTools.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that my mind is on HostRocket, let me add another thing: I can't get PHP to work. PHP is listed as a feature on the main page of HostRocket. I was following Kevin's series on PHP, and the first time I tried using PHP on HostRocket, it didn't work. The code was in the HTML, which means that the server doesn't recognize PHP.

I tried using the .php .php3 and .php4 extension, and even set up the .htaccess file for this - nothing worked at all.

For the rest of you using HostRocket (and 'hostfree') is PHP working?

Thanks

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't really use PHP, so I can't help you out there. Well, they had an "Upgrade" this weekend. There are many things that have been going wrong, and I have many questions, and they never answer them! I am starting to get really pissed. They are NEVER on to give support. Well....I think they should give EVERYONE 2 free months for the sh** they put us through. 99.9%+ HA!

------------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They haven't been on AIM for a couple of weeks, and when they are on HumanClick they don't talk. I asked about PHP and I was returned no response.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know...HumanClick says they are on, but they never say anything, what's the deal?

------------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That means that the HostRocket admin's computer IS on, he's just not answering. If he were gone for a long time, then you would think he would at least shut down his computer or quit HumanClick.

HostRocket really needs to wake up and smell the coffee. All I can say is they were one of my 3 hosting candidates. Not anymore, simply because the other two are easily contactable. The first one responds to e-mails in an informative fashion in minutes. The second I've known for a little while and is talking to me on ICQ as I type. I know that they both know how to administrate servers, I know that they value my business, I know that they put customer satisfaction above money, which is what makes great companies in the long run.

What I find funny about HostRocket is that they don't host their own DNS servers.

I think that when faced with a decision: Kryogen or HostRocket, I'll spend $5 more and get a high-quality host who will be online the majority of the time than go with HostRocket who does not seem to value their customers.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I feel that today HostRocket has changed my mind. They are making up for the loss. They are giving 2 Months Free. They server problem was not expected, and the new one was delayed in getting there. They said that the new one will be worth the old ones downtime, and once the new one is up, all of the problems will be fixed!

------------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a talk with the admin today too.

Glad to get those 2 months, but I have to wait until the new server is configured in order to get PHP running.

I really wanted to learn it (with Kevin's series).

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris.

I am basically the computer guy for a school. I am Mr. Network Admin, Mr. Website Designer, Mr. Fixit, Mr. Orderman, and Mr. Computer Class Teacher. I have many names.

As Mr. Network Admin, I just keep the network alive, add new computers, and move computers from class to class when the teachers change rooms. Each class has 4 iMacs now. They got 100 new ones a couple weeks ago, so I am really busy setting them up. I have to load software, customize, and physically move the coputer to the right class and connect it to the hub.

As Mr. Website Designer, I just throw up a little site for the school. I work on it an hour each year or so.

When I am Mr. Fixit, I go around fixing people's computers when they have a problem.

"Help! My computer is off!"
    "All you have to do is turn on the power button"
    "Oh wow I hope I can remember that next time!"

Some teachers can need extra help.

As Mr. Orderman, I choose the things the school buys in the Tech Dept. I guess I could order a couple extra iMacs for myself, but I would never want them anyway.

As Mr. Class Teacher, I instruct a summer school class of about 20 students. Its General Computing, so it's pretty easy for them. It leaves me time to post at SitePoint at the same time I am giving instructions, so it couldn't be too hard.

I format my computer every other week because after exactly 13 days my computer goes on a freezing rampage.

Formatting your computer is very good, it speeds up your computer if the hard drive is cluttered, and lets you have a fresh start.

There are ways of making a CD-R/RW backup of your hard drive, but this wouldn't benifit you if you were to restore it. Your computer would be as sluggish and cluttered as it was to begin with.

What do I do then? I have two physical hard drives. One of them is a 2.5GB hard drive that came with my computer, and the other one is a 5.7GB hard drive I purchased last year. I run off of the 5.7GB hard drive, it has Windows and BeOS right now. All of my programs are on it. I use the 2.5GB hard drive to hold all of my documents, downloads, mp3's, and backups. Formatting my computer is now as easy as installing programs.

I clean install Windows (using the restore disk many manufacturers provide installs too much junk IMO), then install a couple of things off of CD (such as Plus!, Office, MSN, IE 5, etc). The rest I have the install files on my 2.5GB hard drive.

Now, if you can't find a spare hard drive, you can backup all of your files/documents another way. You could back up the install files (if you have downloaded it off of the internet) on a CD-R/RW, ZIP, SuperDisk, Sparq, Jaz, tape drive, etc.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, TRC, you wll just have to wait a while. It should be up by Friday. He said that the new server would be GREAT and worth the wait, I sure hope so!

------------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I guess so.

I have plenty more on my To Do list anyway

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS: My To Do list never ends, I am even working on it at work. Yeah, SitePoint makes up part of my To Do list.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are at work? I was wondering why it does not show you as online on ICQ. Where do you work?

------------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I haven't been on ICQ is because I had to format my computer. I haven't had enough time to install it again, but when I get home I will.

I will discuss where I work etc when I am home and have more time on my hands.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To tide you over until Aidan gets back: I believe he's a system admin type of guy controling a network of several hundred computers...cool, huh?

------------------
    Chris Bowyer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is really cool. Ok, this is a REALLY stupid question. I heard that Formatting your computer once in a while is good for it, but is there a way to save all of the programs and upload them without downloading them all again?

------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by trcfreebies:
    "Help! My computer is off!"
    "All you have to do is turn on the power button"
    "Oh wow I hope I can remember that next time!"
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's freakin' hillarious!

Hey tell everyone here the story about that guy and the mouse...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is really away from the topic, but here I go.

And d3v: what do you think of this:

"Yeah, Mouses DO hold 30GB! All you have to do is replace the mouse to upgrade your entire computer. It will get you a new Pentium III if you buy the right kind. You shouldn't have a mouse with less than 256MB RAM. If you get the right kind of mouse, it will have burning capabilities (for CD-R/rw) or even DVD! A mouse can increase the sound output too!"

Of course, this didn't actually happen, but there are people who believe that the mouse is what you need to upgrade to get new parts and better performance. They must think the tower is awful noisy and useless.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my Grandma had one of those comps that had the monitor and tower as one (One of the older compaqs) and she thought that the monitor did all the work, and the bottom was just for buttons and stuff.........

------------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha...well the mouse thing is funny. And about the teacher thing, most teachers areactually like that.....

"What does this L button do?"
    "Umm, it types an L!"
    "Oh, I didn't know that, do all of the other letters do the same?"
    "Umm, Yes!"
    "WOW!"
    "And the numbers too?"
    "Yes!"
    "COOL!"

------------------