SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Is Your Favorite Business Font To Use?

For those who work professionally, what is everyone's preferred font to use in creating online ads for a company? This is of course for doing business sites, not personal sites. I'd like to get an idea of what other fonts I might need to get as I'm doing a lot of online ads these days.

I usually like Swiss 721 myself but I'm getting a little bored of it.

*Edited to make it clear that I'm referring to using fonts in graphics programs like Photoshop to create online ads--not HTML.
    Last edited by Racer_X; Dec 27, 2006 at 11:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arial - it's ALMOST guaranteed to be on the clients machine, renders best across platforms, and can fall back to any other generic sans-font if need be... Calling fonts the user might not even have INSTALLED isn't real high up on my list of priorities... Of course one always provides fallbacks.

Unless you mean for images like logos, in which case I generally try to choose one that matches the rest of the website... which usually means, uhm, well... Arial... unless of course it's the logo itself or a uber graphics-intensive site, in which case I've been known to spin my own fonts from scratch to match the clients logo font - often amazed how many companies have fancy scripts in their logos, and come to find out it's a hand drawn vector of just the letters in the logo done in something like illustrator, and not an actual complete font.

If it's not a logo though, these days I try to steer as far away from doing text as images as possible - it's just a waste of bandwidth.

-- CORRECTION --

Unless of course the client demands it - client comes first... case in point right now I'm working on a redo of someone's website that they like the graphics the previous designer used (which are nice), but are facing bandwidth choke-out (home page alone is >350k in 60 files) and problems not being listed on the search engines... much less that the site is designed as a 610 pixel across baby-stripe - The search engine problem is obvious, images off there is no website Nothing, NADA... it's ALL images, even the large areas of text... In reformatting the page to fill the screen as a fluid layout (or semi-fluid, it's still undecided so I'm making fluid, then can just wrap it in a fixed width if that's what they want!) I'm having to go back through and redo some of their images like on the menu, and I've settled on Insaniburger (looks like the burger king font) for the menu as I need a good thick font for use with a black highlight over a very light and busy pattern.

Right tool for the right job is as always the bottom line.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second Arial, though I tend to use Tahoma because it's easier on my eyes (for sans-serif fonts). For serif fonts, I like Georgia a lot.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guess it also depends on whether the client has a style book (brand). Most large companys do and you can only use the specified fonts.

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
    *Edited to make it clear that I'm referring to using fonts in graphics programs like Photoshop to create online ads--not HTML.
    I like classic fonts like Helvetica and Gill Sans, plus DIN.
    For serif ones - Times, Dutch.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    I like classic fonts like Helvetica and Gill Sans, plus DIN.
    For serif ones - Times, Dutch.
    Second that HelveticaNeue is a very nice variation, also Eurostyle is worth looking at. Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ is one of my fav's at the minute

Si

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainly i use Arial and Tahoma, but it really depends on the look the client is going for
    i wonder how many tris that is...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myriad and Trebuchet are two of my favourite fonts to work with. Very stylish if used correct.
    Webdevelopment : Skyrocket Concepts Inventis Web Architects
    Ain't got time for the future or the past.
    Live for the moment, make it last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
    guess it also depends on whether the client has a style book (brand). Most large companys do and you can only use the specified fonts.
    UHG!!! Style books are annoying when going from a companies print products to the web - you end up wasting two to three days explaining to them that it's impractical to do their site copy (the large text parts) in "Quijada leftist daisy newstyle italic" because nobody is going to have it installed on their machine.

It eventually comes down to that WONDERFUL question: 'can't you just use images for the whole thing?' - for 1,000+ words? Not quite. Almost enough to make one wish WEFT had widespread adoption (or that adobe equivalent that was dropped like a hot potato a few years back - that's adobe, make promises about a format then drop it in the trash... Oh, SVG? **** you, we own Flash now...) or the CSS3 nobody has made any moves toward actually supporting. (let's keep churning out new specifications before even 1.0 is properly supported - RIGHT...)

Again, part of why I say print people need to stay the **** away from web design unless they are prepared to forget EVERYTHING they already know about layout.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to use Myriad, and Bell Continential, and Avant Garde