SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Turn Members to Posters

Hello once again, I need some advice with for my forum Blogcrowds.com.

I have a steady source of people (around 20/day with 1 or 2 being spammers) who register as there are some incentives resources that only members may view. However the problem is I'm not getting as many posts as I think I should. My post/member ratio is horrible like 4/3 and I have over 100 post...

I tried to stay active and I'm looking into paid posting, is there anything else that would help me?

Thanks

SitePoint Evangelist english-test.net's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stavanger,

What you might want to do is some brainstorming to come up with topics you can write articles on. Forum members need something to talk about and it's your job as the forum owner to provide your community with enough food for thought. Yes, at a certain level you will get a lot of 'user generated content' but you have to make an investment first. Don't expect your forum members to create 'your' community. Give them something that makes them feel a part of a growing and valuable system.
    So, here are some suggestions for topics to write about:
    - what exactly is a blog? (a brief history of blogging starting with the old log books that were kept on ships)
    - the benefits of blogging (why are people blogging?)
    - blog vs. diary
    - the top ten bloggers in the world (short profiles of people who have been dominating the blog sphere)
    - a blogging glossary (explain all the new fangled terminology to people who have never been exposed to blogging)
    - what might come after the blog (a blog might be as short lived as a message boards -- try to envision what the internet will look like in 5 to 10 years)
    - the top ten (or whatever number you want) reasons why people start blogging and then quit
    - how to turn lurkers into posters/bloggers (do some research on Google and you will find that you are not alone -- the vast majority of forum owners want to know why 'their' users are not posting)
    - introduce yourself (people always connect with people not with software or websites, who are you? what can your forum users learn from you? what do you have to give?)

Add you own ideas and let me know what you think.
    Regards,
    Torsten

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I I have a forum and don't have the problem as you, in fact quiote the opposite. My ratio is 10:1 which is actually quite good. I thin you must note the differences between m forum and yours. The main thing to see is the topics. I don't your forum has many topics that are close to your members hearts. I think what you have to do is to start the ball rolling. Unlike you, I have over 1000 posts which is about 1/3 of the total posts, but as you can see I have the ball rolling fast and not gathering moss.
    I see your post ratio is about 40% That was and still is similar to mine, but I have found, for ever 4 posts I do, I can expect to see at least 6 posts.

And just out of interest, how did you get all those visitors? I would kill for 20 members per day.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lodist View Post
    Hi, I I have a forum and don't have the problem as you, in fact quiote the opposite. My ratio is 10:1 which is actually quite good. I thin you must note the differences between m forum and yours. The main thing to see is the topics. I don't your forum has many topics that are close to your members hearts. I think what you have to do is to start the ball rolling. Unlike you, I have over 1000 posts which is about 1/3 of the total posts, but as you can see I have the ball rolling fast and not gathering moss.
    I see your post ratio is about 40% That was and still is similar to mine, but I have found, for ever 4 posts I do, I can expect to see at least 6 posts.

And just out of interest, how did you get all those visitors? I would kill for 20 members per day.
    Thanks for the tips and topics, I will work on those especially the posts "close to your members hearts". As for how I get the amount of member, I have a large section of blog templates that only registered members could access.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, youve got me thinking. i have a few exclusive 'themes' for an mp3 player. I wonder, if perhaps I could make it register only I might be able juice users for membership. I will try it for a day and see what happens.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hye, it actually worked! I get 10 more registrations a day when i do this! This also translates to more replies and even more visitors (although it might just be the amount of units sold in the last few days)