SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first Windows 2000 hosting account.

Okay, because of my blind faith in both Microsoft and the company I am buying hosting from (yes, I am that one person that has faith in Microsoft), I am now hosting my network of 6 soon-to-be open sites on Windows 2000. If things don't work out as planned, I may switch to a Unix account.

Anyways, here's my question. I have a dedicated IP address from them, and I want to run an anonymous FTP server (god knows why), but, I have made a new folder called 'anonftp' outside the web root, so anything put in there can not be accessed from the web, only via FTP. I have given the 'Anonymous' user FULL rights to this folder, is this safe? That's my question in a nutshell, is it safe to give the 'Anonymous' user full access rights to a folder outside the web root.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks safe as long as your FTP server doesn't do a goofy.

btw, just curious...what do you mean by "Full Rights" ?? Deletion/Overwriting too?
    -*-
    B-School Forums - GMAT / MBA / Admissions discussions
    -*-

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my directory structure is like this;

/www
    /logs
    /anonftp

When people log into the anonymous FTP server, they cannot access the /logs or /www directories, but once they are in the /anonftp directory they have full rights to do anything they want in that folder, however that folder is not accessible from the web.