SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a mascot?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • $25 or below

3 7.50%
  • $25-$50

8 20.00%
  • $50-$75

6 15.00%
  • $75-$100

8 20.00%
  • $100 or more

15 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mascot Pricing

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mascot Pricing

Hello all!

I'm trying to work out prices for my upcoming Mascot Design services, so I'd like to ask, how much would you consider paying for a mascot? Some examples of past designs can be found here

I should also add that this price (whatever it turns out to be) would include creating the mascot at different sizes for things like brochures, letterhead, etc. so that you could have it professionally printed if you like. So it wouldn't just be one simple drawing for your web page.

Thank you for your participation!
    Last edited by Sparkie; Jan 4, 2002 at 21:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quality of those mascots is impressive and i'd have to say they are worth the higher range of prices.

I'd like to have one or two created sooner or later, but I think what I could afford and what i'd consider the value of the design are entirely different.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much I would pay, or how much I could conceive someone would pay?

I think it boils down to the individual client. Someone like me wouldn't be able to afford much, while someone with more resources could easily pay $250 plus. I've always thought you're designs were really strong, and you could probably get away with charging what ever you want (don't let that go to your head, though :-).

I don't think a flat rate pricing scheme would the best for your situation. Either charging hourly or varying your product pricing would suit you better, I think. :-)

~~Hope This Helps

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mascots look great.

It depends on the nature of your clients business. Are they small business, ezines etc? Also consider their psych, they must have light-hearted and fun branding to use something like a mascot. Who is their target market and why will they respond to a mascot more than say a traditional logo? Will they be using it in all their collateral material? What kind of spending power have your clients had in the past?

Determine spending power - Price accordingly.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the quality warrants the higher price.

Especially since this would be more than one drawing. However someone who by chance just wanted one drawing shouldn't be charged like he wanted 3 drawings.

So you should just bill out hourly.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing about charging per hour is that it freaks people out..they dont know exactly how long it would take or how complicated it would get..and they don't want to have the shock of their lives when they see the bill!

So I took the average amount of time it takes to complete the mascot (sizing/coloring and all) and put it as a flat rate. I figure I'll end up charging $50 for a black and white and $75 for a color mascot - since that's around the range that most people feel comfortable paying.

If someone wanted several different poses of the same mascot, every purchase made after the first would be 1/2 off.

Tom, thank you for that link to the thread! $400-499 for a mascot is outrageous pricing! I hope I'll bring in more business than that fellow
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wooow freaky, i was thinking the other day that i might get you to do a mascot for me ;0) so now ill have to vote for the lower price so i get it cheaper

$50-$75 sounds like a good price if you are happy with that, i just always thought it would cost more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that price range sounds good to me. Keep an eye out for the website itself in the reviews forum soon!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't even get a good logo for under $500.00 - look at LogoMojo.com, LogoMotive, and other online logo designers. They charge upwards of $700 for LOGOS.

Mascots take much more time and effort than a mere logo. I would be willing to pay $500 plus for a GOOD mascot design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in that case, I'm the person for you

I'm just trying to think what the general client range I have would be willing to pay for a mascot. Most are small to mid-range business owners or organizations..Originally I had the price set as $50 for b/w and $100 for color..but I've had a few people say that they couldn't afford that..sooo that's why I posted the poll
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I charge $500 for logos unless they're a REALLY small business or non-profit organization, in which case I charge $350.

I'm NO WHERE near as gifted as you and I haven't had a hard time at all getting clients.

My personal opinion is that your prices are already so low that people feel they can haggle it down even more.

It probably takes you several hours to design a good-looking mascot right? So why charge $50 when you could be charging $50 or $100 an HOUR?

I would either set a resonably high price or just charge an hourly rate. You can always come DOWN on your price if you feel its neccessary.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing a bit of where you're at and your comfort leve (as well as target markets) I'd have to say that a roughly 250$ range would be what you're looking for.

Thing is that you could easily do a piece for 10K, no reason why not so I don't want to tell you to limit yourself. You've got talent and the only thing really holding you down is perception, experience and your own comfort level
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by beley

I'm NO WHERE near as gifted as you and I haven't had a hard time at all getting clients.

I compared our portfolios (not design-wise, but client-wise) and I see that you've done sites for a law firm, photographer, and a network/computing consultant, all of which can afford to pay $250+ for a logo or mascot design.

If you've seen my porfolio lately you'll see that the majority of my clients are schools, organizations and small businesses..none of which can afford (or want) to pay very much for anything web-related. As my client base grows, I'm sure my prices will adjust to fit that range.

Heck, I'd charge $500 to build a small site - including the logo! I guess I need to go hit up some law firms!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you...

Happy birthday purple kitty...

Happy birthday to yoooooouuuuuuu!

Anyway, I looked at your portfolio as well. You are amazingly talented. If you are interested in sort of a "partnership" or "contract" work, email me at brandon@creativedrive.net - I would like to send you some information if you are interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've got mail!

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an idea for you Sparkie. It seems to me you don't have the confidence to ask for the higher prices that people are suggesting. Fine. Because one thing you have to do in business is believe in yourself in order to be convincing to your client. So if you say you want $250 for a mascot, then you have to be quote that price with confidence because you believe you are worth it and you can justify the price and am willing to walk away from the deal.

One thing I have noticed in business though is that it is always the clients who are willing to pay the least that will give you the most trouble!

So, why not make yourself available to some of the other hot-shot web designers on the forums who are marketing savey and can talk the talk, and you they can sub-contract to you for their mascot needs for somewhere around the $150-250 plus mark and you can cut them a percentage kick-back? - maybe 20-30% depending on the amount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohh..I just dont want to scare people away with the prices and send them running to the competition

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price is important, however on the scale of why someone buys from you, it's somewhere around number 5 (I've been looking for the list and when I find it, I'll post it here).

I highly agree that you're very talented. I tell my clients that "not even the sky's the limit any more!

One very talented person I know charges 200 just for one logo... then with all the little, big, different resoultion, cutting the logo (for the internet that's sometimes very helpful) the price can go up to 500 and more...

Thing that I would suggest is to set up a system with potential clients. When someone wants you do to work for them, have them call you (or visa versa) get the info, then design. Let them know up front that more than "x" redo's will cost "x" etc. Everyone who has integrity will know that it will cost! Hey, even I know that every redo will cost me more <g>!

And I agree, it is very worthwhile to do sites for non-profits or low profits. However, get some PR from them somehow. And use that experience you gain as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

Best of success,

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS
    If I had to do it all again, even in my primary business, I would have done -0- for free or very below the going rate.

It just wasn't worth the agrivation! I had folks bounce checks for services that were 10% of what the fee should have been. Or they didn't do what they said, or sent money in late, etc. etc.

I would have done (and do) some things for free however I would have set stronger boundaries. Or I would have bartered for things I really needed. Like web design for ad's in a newsletter or whatever.

I don't know why, when a majority of folks find a bargin, they want even more!

Maria

SitePoint Enthusiast Caramel_Cortex's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up go with the market

You gotta go with the market or you're selling yourself short. $100 or even $300 is actually a ridiculously low price for such a thing--especially when you consider how much an enterprise can make by selling mascot merchandise! Don't undervalue yourself! Your work is good and you should charge accordingly. $500 and up.

freakysid said:
    One thing I have noticed in business though is that it is always the clients who are willing to pay the least that will give you the most trouble!
    Too true! People perceive higher quality when they pay higher prices. Nobody will ever disrespect you for sticking to principle. Best of luck!
    That's a nice suit... does it come in your size?
    c a r a m e l c o r t e x
    CrazyBox Web Development--{beta}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mariasplace
    If I had to do it all again, even in my primary business, I would have done -0- for free or very below the going rate.
    I don't know why, when a majority of folks find a bargin, they want even more!
    See? Listen to your pals here at SitePoint! Raise your prices! I've advised several business friends I know to raise their prices. One was a massage therapist charging $40/hr when the going rate was $60/hr. I told her to charge the market rate. She did and nobody even blinked. She's very happy she did it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allright then! Based on most everyone's feedback, I am seriously undercharging myself!I guess its time to raise prices then I'll be doing that by the end of the month, so if you want to get in, get in now!

I appreciate everyone's vote of confidence!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck with everything!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your mascots are FANTASTIC! I am nowhere to finishing my Gibraltar site but when I do can I get you to draw me a cheeky monkey for my site at your old prices?