User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duplicate Content Question

I recently redesigned http://www.shamuscustomz.com

It has just dropped off the google index and I am a little bit worried if it is a ban or if it just updating the index (which is probably the case)

The reason I am worried about the ban is because we have a 56k version of the site which has EXACTLY the same content of the site.

I have stopped robots from gaining access to the 56k pages, but is it possible that google bot will bypass the robots.txt file and see that I have duplicated content and therefore be penalized for it?

Thankyou and appreciate any input!

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The blogged about duplicate content earlier this week, maybe this will help: Google Blog

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you changed all your file extensions from .html to .htm? If you have, these are completely new urls and it will just take time for the new changes to proliferate/profiterole. If that's the case, do you have links to the new urls?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnny, I did read that article. Its a little vague, but I think I am ok according to what they are saying (because I am not manipulating my ratings with the 56k site and I have blocked the bots).

Hooperman, I am not entirely sure what you mean by the updating my links in the URLS. All my urls are working, there are no 404s, I am not sure if the previous site saved them as .htm or html (but I understand that google will recognize the new pages as entirely new pages from the previous site) and I do have a google sitemap installed (and up to date).

Thanks guys!