SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Apple spring back on the tree?

Next week is the semi-annual MacWorld expo. Consistantly, Apple tends to wow people with new gadgets, gizmos and software at MacWorld. What will it be this year and will it be enough to move Apple back up the tree as a true leader in the industry?

This year a purported successor to the iMac is rumored to be unveiled. This new computer could possible have a flat screen and be more expandable, probably through USB and FireWire, than the ancient iMac.

However will a flat panel stand-alone be enough to get Apple's market share to increase? These aren't new nor revolutionary with both IBM and Gateway shipping similarly configured models for the Windows platform. They are also facing competition from Sony who is undeniably the world's home entertainment powerhouse. Sony just recently started shipping computers where the case is 3 inches wide by 8 inches tall and about 8 inches deep. These machines come with a combination DVD/CD-RW drive but no floppy drive. They also come with the stylish Sony 17" flat panel display and a slim-line 1/4 inch thick keyboard. Apple does have one advantage over Sony though, and that is not everyone likes purple.

Currently Apple has approximately 5% of the worldwide market for desktop computers. This in itself isn't bad but is way down from the glory days of 10% marketshare. An updating of their product line seems essential when sub 2.0 Gigahertz Windows machines are available. Personally, I would look into purchasing a flat-panel version of the iMac as long as it retails for less than $1000.00.

While other devices have been rumored such as an Apple branded Palm OS based PDA and G4 processors over 1 Gigahertz, these are less likely then the unveiling of the new iMac. Apple is being uncharacteristically quiet this time around so they could fool us all. I look forward to seeing a successful launch and am hoping for an affordable Apple branded computer that looks more technological rather than something like the stylish television you would find in a teenagers room.
    Last edited by Hierophant; Jan 5, 2002 at 10:34.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are also rumors that apple might switch to intel chips. since the os x is based on unix, it would be a seamless transition and would eliminate apple's cost disadvantage relative to wintel makers.

their website says, "to boldy go where no pc has gone before." hmmm...some kind of all-in-one machine that cooks and cleans while you surf the net.
    "There's no justice like angry mob justice!" --Seymour Skinner

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Great post! Thanks for the update W. Luke.

I'm so glad to hear Apple will be belting something other than another than iMac. Who needs 'em: they still use G3s and you are forced to have only a 15" monitor.

k, I'm geeked.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cow
    there are also rumors that apple might switch to intel chips. since the os x is based on unix, it would be a seamless transition and would eliminate apple's cost disadvantage relative to wintel makers.
    It wouldn't be seamless. Sure, maybe their OS X kernel boots on x86, but you can't forget all the software written specifically for PPC. Every software distributor would have to port over to x86, test, release, and then support two versions -- one for people still using Macs, and one for people using OS X on x86 hardware.

You also can't forget that if they used x86 hardware, they would go bankrupt. Several reasons
    -- The one I listed above
    -- No one would buy Apple hardware, one of their main sources of cash
    -- PC hardware is nowhere near as high-quality as Macs are, which means they'd need to hire more tech support and driver writers
    -- And finally, they've invested a ton in PPC chips. Apple knows nothing about x86. It would be the 68000->PPC transition all over again.

Hardly a seamless transition. Apple will never, ever switch to x86 (or any other processors evolved from it).

Oh, and...
    I heard that Apple is going to show off a Mac OS X-based wrist watch. It senses your finger movements, so to use it, you just pretend as if you are writing (on any flat surface). The watch is no bigger than any ordinary watch, because it stretches out to a 15" 1600x1200 LCD when in use.

It contains a 500MHz G4 processor, 256MB RAM, and a 30GB hard drive. The iWatch runs for three weeks on one AAA battery and synchronizes with your G4 as long as they're within 1 mile of eachother via built-in 802.11b wireless ethernet.

I heard this from sources very close to Apple. My uncle works there and he brought me a prototype, so I know it's real.
    Last edited by qslack; Jan 5, 2002 at 00:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good points qslack... i didn't consider the hardware side of things.

that watch sounds cool! how do they get a 15" lcd to fold up as small as a normal wrist watch?
    "There's no justice like angry mob justice!" --Seymour Skinner