SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RoR not working in Apache 1.3.37 - in WEBrick OK

I have installed Ruby/Rails on my server and I cant get it to work with Apache. When I run the test app I get the "Application error - Rails application failed to start properly" message and I get a truck load of errors in the error log like this:
    Code:
    [Fri Dec 22 21:20:50 2006] [warn] FastCGI: (dynamic) server "/home/stumped/public_html/rails/dispatch.fcgi" has failed to remain running for 30 seconds given 3 attempts, its restart interval has been backed off to 600 seconds
    If I run it on WEBrick on my server (scripts/server) it runs fine no problem.

I have gone over the installation several times and all seems to be OK. I have checked all the permissions and shebangs and all are good. I must be overlooking something, What could this be?

I am on a cPanel server (centOs4.4) + ruby 1.8.5 + Rails 1.1.6 + fastcgi 2.4.0
    "You can just hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around...
    Or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters."
    - Cartman

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't advise using Apache 1.3 for Rails. Look at Apache 2.2 proxied to Mongrel, or a lighttpd/pound/mongrel solution. In fact, avoid FastCGI if you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I got it working (at least it seems to be working, I know squat about RoR so far).

I reinstalled FastCgi and mod_fastcgi, then did some playing around with the permissions and suddenly it worked (now I need to remember what I did with the permissions). It was also important to remove old cookies and sessions from previous tries (something about cgi and fcgi cookies not being compatible). Another thing that made a difference was to update mysql (gem mysql update) and to make sure that old-passwords = 0 in my.cnf

I am doing this for a hosting client that has a RoR site, I will talk to his developer to test the setup to make sure it is OK.
    "You can just hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around...
    Or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters."
    - Cartman