SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does it hurt if exchange links with unrelated websites?

I am wondering if it hurts my website PR (4) if I exchange links with some unrelated websites??

anyone knows?

thanks
    Welcome to my site:
    http://www.Panda-Greatwall.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is... maybe. Matt Cutts addressed someone that had some unrelated links on the footer of their pages in this entry.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    linking to low PR sites or unrelated sites will decrease our PR too.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakibanda View Post
    The content on a webpage has nothing to do with PR. This includes your content or the content of the page you link to.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    The short answer is no.
    You should ideally be linking to related sites though - it's the user experience that should be your first concern.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It won't hurt you, but it won't help them gain PR or rank either. However, if your links are regularly clicked and you want to help a friend get some traffic, there's nothing wrong with helping a friend.

The other day I clicked on Dan Grossman's signature and was delighted and refreshed by his links page. He's a pretty diverse guy and in sites he owns include a night wear store, a cartoon store, as well as tech sites.

His links include links to books he's read, sites that inspire him, where he advertises, and a lot of other tech sites.

Now, whether these links are 'good backlinks' or not, I bookmarked his blog because of them -- saved me the trouble of adding a lot of the individual sites to my favorites! They also did a whopping job of increasing my respect for Dan and his contribution to the web.

Plus, I didn't have time to check them all out. (So if you're reading this Dan, be warned! I'll be back!!! )

So, I would say go ahead and link to the sites that matter to you. Friend, colleague, or just your favorites.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ivytony View Post
    I am wondering if it hurts my website PR (4) if I exchange links with some unrelated websites??

anyone knows?

thanks
    It won’t hurt your site but at the same time I would suggest you to link with the sites which are relevant to your site no matter if their PR is less than your website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ivytony View Post

anyone knows?

thanks
    It can hurt, albeit indirectly: Your outbound links (the links you put to other Websites) help search engines to determine the theme of your own site. So if you put too many outbound links to blue widgets if you sell cat food, search engines will take this into account, and your rankings for blue widget will slightly improve, while your cat food rankings will get hurt. You don't want that, do you.

However, a small amount of unrelated links is OK, but make sure you don't link to trash sites, banned sites, and other kinds of "bad neighborhood".

Also, stay away from nofollow links some link partners will use against you.

Hope this helps,
    Warkot

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakibanda View Post
    Absolute nonsense. Sites do not leak PR, period. Just take a look at the Google PR formula (the original one).

That said, the number of outbound links on a page does determine how big a share of the PageRank pie each link gets. So obviously, the fewer outbounds a page has, the better for you -- go get a link there!

But once again, this does not affect the PR of your site/page in question. It does affect how much PR is passed to the links, but that's it.

Warkot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with Warkot on his comment, but i will add that pr can be lost in situations such as keyword spamming a page to get higher rankings.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the9crow View Post
    I totally agree with Warkot on his comment, but i will add that pr can be lost in situations such as keyword spamming a page to get higher rankings.
    Not true. PR is a mathematical formula based on link popularity. PR is not lost due to keyword spamming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if thats the case i could use my keywords at the bottom of my page over and over again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the9crow View Post
    So if thats the case i could use my keywords at the bottom of my page over and over again.
    That won't hurt your PR but will make your site look like crap. No one will want to link to it and I would bet the search engines wouldn't rank it well at all. Pagerank is just one part of a Google's algorithm. It's not the only thing which you seem to be alluding to.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea stymiee you are right on that one and I would also like to say that PR is just a number which Google gives to the sites and nothing else. Webmasters should not worry much about it and in fact there are other area’s in SEO which should be given more priority. The PR of a site will gradually get high if one is following all the ethical and standard techniques without getting into link farms and bad neighborhoods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the only thing which you seem to be alluding to
    Ok i keep my big mouth shut!! :-)