SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about anchor text

I've been putting links to my site CSSGlossary.com in all of my forum signatures and anywhere else I can find. The anchor text I usually use is simply "CSS Glossary".

However, I got to thinking - I'd like my site to be found for terms like "css property reference". I did some keyword research and came up with the term "css properties reference" as being my best choice. So to mix the two, I started putting my anchor text as "CSS Glossary - Properties Reference".

My question is, does anchor text have to be exact for it to help your listing in SERPs? Or will "CSS Glossary - Properties Reference" help me for both "css glossary", and "css properties reference".

I hope that makes sense, sorry for using my site as an example; but I really couldn't think of a way to rephrase it.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm anything if but an SEO expert (meaning I'm not) but you should be able to reap the benefits of having the keywords in your anchor text for both search terms.

However, keep in mind that a lot of forums (such as SitePoint) do not allow search engines to follow signature links, so the benefit of having links in forum signatures for SEO purposes will be next to nothing at best. However, on the bright side, you will probably get the eyeball's attention, which will help get you the human traffic you want.

Yeah, it's a trade off, but a worthwhile one, in my opinion.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    However, keep in mind that a lot of forums (such as SitePoint) do not allow search engines to follow signature links, so the benefit of having links in forum signatures for SEO purposes will be next to nothing at best.
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that. That's a little disappointing. I guess the best option is usually to pay for good links eh?

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you can leave them in the forum signatures. SitePoint is starting to "feature" forum signatures with links in them on the Community Crier - who knows, yours might be one of them .

Also don't forget that the search engine is NOT what you are ultimately trying to attract, but people. Having a nice search engine ranking helps in that objective.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you can leave them in the forum signatures. SitePoint is starting to "feature" forum signatures with links in them on the Community Crier - who knows, yours might be one of them .

Also don't forget that the search engine is NOT what you are ultimately trying to attract, but people. Having a nice search engine ranking helps in that objective.
    Very cool, I suppose I may have to spruce mine up a bit then.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, you're always a big help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now it's time for me to go to bed... despite having this throbbing shoulder (and back, and neck, and rib cage - pulled muscles HURT) pain...

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And now it's time for me to go to bed... despite having this throbbing shoulder (and back, and neck, and rib cage - pulled muscles HURT) pain...
    Off Topic:

Ouch! Pulling muscles at the keyboard! You have been working too hard!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you make sure the site is easily useful and attractive, you may find others add links for reference to their own sites.... now you are earning real links without paying for them and in many cases, they may be followed.
    Identity Developments - SEO Focused Web Design
    It's not about websites, it's about your identity.

| Credit Card Apps |

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Maine View Post
    My question is, does anchor text have to be exact for it to help your listing in SERPs? Or will "CSS Glossary - Properties Reference" help me for both "css glossary", and "css properties reference".
    At first, you will get boosted only on "CSS Glossary - Properties Reference".

But then, with time, when Google gets used to your site having top position on this long "CSS Glossary - Properties Reference", you will grow both on "css glossary", and "css properties reference."

However, everything is not that easy. Don't forget that still those who have more good backlinks with "css glossary" will beat you on "css glossary", because you have e.g. 100 backlinks "CSS Glossary - Properties Reference" and your competitors 100 backlinks with "css glossary" exactly in the anchor.

Still, the tactics of longer keyphrase in anchor works. I was starting with something really huge like 'automatic reciprocal link exchange script (software)' and now I am very ok for most of the elements of this long keyphrase.
    !BEST BARGAIN! - 100% Free Link Exchange Script
    Isn't it better @ zero cost to use the tool
    which is better than $90+ solutions?