User Tag List

Thread: Copyright issue

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copyright issue

I have a friend who has a website about paranormal story in Vietnamese, she's been working so hard to typing and translate lots of foreign books into Vietnamese language, lately some other Vietnamese a*shole come to her site, copy most of her stories and put them to their site, without her permission, there is one person even copy exactly the whole website, everything but change her email to their email, this really piss me off, even it's not my work. She emailed him, but he refused to took it down.

My question is, how do you prevent this? Is there a U.S goverment website that allow you to copyright stuff? how much it cost? And what can you do about it after find out other people has violated your site???

The site is tamlinh.net, I'm urgently need your help, thank you so much.

You want what? By when?? Milamber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that, in the USA, any work you create is copyrighted without you having to do *anything*. However, to truely secure that copy right, you must purchase some copyright stuff (patents i believe). I recently read in an article on sitepoint.com (go figure) that it costs something like $30 per patent. However, if someone has blatently copied the content and entire site, that's something that can easily be procescuted in court I would think.

If ther person is really being an ***, find out who their ISP or host is and talk to them about the copyright violator. Be very firm - most companies don't want to have dirty hands and would probably presure the person to take it down, or even turn the site off themselves.

My 2 cents.
    -Jeff Minard | jrm.cc - Battlefield 2 Stats

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran across something similar the other day.

Here's a site that I've seen for sometime:
    http://www.medjump.com

and here's a site that recently became live:
    http://www.medicalworkers.com

My question is: Is it legal to copy someone's design or is it just tacky?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not legal to copy the original work of anyone.

As for the original question, International Copyright is tricky because it relies on treaties between the two countries involved.

Your best bet would be to find out where the Host is, if their website is hosted in the US then it should be pretty easy to ge tthe stuff taken down.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

You want what? By when?? Milamber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by copycat
    My question is: Is it legal to copy someone's design or is it just tacky?
    It's legal if it's the same designer and they reserved the rights to the design as part of the contract for doing the site - it's also legal if the "design" was bought as a template.
    -Jeff Minard | jrm.cc - Battlefield 2 Stats

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Milamber

It's legal if it's the same designer and they reserved the rights to the design as part of the contract for doing the site - it's also legal if the "design" was bought as a template.
    Yeah, but it seems a little fishy that they're both in the same business and industry? I would doubt that a designer would use the same design for two clients in the same industry. Maybe one of the site owners will clarify this (if they check referrer links, they'll end up here)?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't exactly a design to be proud of though is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran into the same problem. I ran across a page that said, "We Now Offer Layered Ads!". I clicked the ad and it was an ad my designer made a few months prior for a customer of mine. I emailed the webmaster, but resorted to calling him. I just let him know that I would be contacting the trademark attorney of the company and also his host.

Does this guy live in the US?
    Zachary Boca
    NexAds, LLC
    Webmaster-related publishers receive a $15 signup bonus!
    http://www.nexads.com/temporarypubapp.html
    URL: http://www.NexAds.Com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if she is just translatingt he storys then she can not own copyright on them as you can not copyright some one else's work, does she have permission to translate the stories herself? , any way its up to the original authors to sort it out, she may have spent ages translating them because her work is only a derivite of the original I don't think it can be copyrighted.