SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unobtrusive Javascript Popup Windows & IE7

I have been using the J'script Unobtrusive Javascript Popup Windows since I found out about the method, far better than the usual popup links with a hash in the href and all the code in the 'onClick' command. But a problem has arrived with IE7 and it's tab browsing. the popups it creates end up in a new tab, instead of a small window, the script works fine in Firefox, and in IE6. Anyone know of a fix for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, that's a user preference that can be overridden.

If the user checks the box of "Let Internet Explorer Decide" when it comes to handling the popups, it's typically the "un-sized" popups that get diverted to a tab.

My recommendation is to ensure that your popups are given height, width, and maybe even top and left attributes to ensure that IE7 doesn't automatically divert your them to a new tab.

By the way - is there a *really* good reason for the popup windows? Have you considered using different methods such as a modal div or something to that effect? Most people that I'm aware of really don't like popups unless they are expecting them (for instance, I pretty much expect some sort of popup whenever I click on the little help links on forms)

HTH,

Jon

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do have a height and width (and position)set, it's just in the script (set once, instead on every link) instead of on the page.
    It's for a 'our locations' page, with simple maps showing over a dozen individual locations (click a small map get a bigger one), a load of hidden position absolute div's using a stack of hide and reveal JS would be even more complex.
    page here if interested, the links are on the 'Map Link' near each location

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mediaman_12 View Post
    They have a hight and width, it's just in the script (set once, instead on every link) instead of on the page.
    It's for a 'our locations' page, with simple maps showing over a dozen individual locations (click a small map get a bigger one), a load of hidden position absolute div's using a stack of hide and reveal JS would be even more complex.
    In that case, I'm not sure if there's a way to override the browser behavior.