SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

User class example? (forum)

Hey, I've been looking around the forum for an example of an OO implementation of a User/Member class for a forum or similar, but I can't find any... What I mean is a class which is used to modify/retrieve User data in a forum software.

The only good example I found for the moment is in Vanilla 1.0 - but I'd like to know if there are better alternatives: Vanilla does it this way:

PHP Code:
    class User {
       var 
    $name

var $password

//... long list of vars

function GetPropertiesFromDataSet()
       {

// gets values for all fields and inputs them 1 by 1 in the vars

}

... so it retrieves everything and stores back the whole thing when needed - there are no variable specific functions, like say: getUsername()

Which is the best way to go? Is it really necessarly to create a variable for every single database field? why not an array?

I was also wondering if PHP5s __set and __get functions would be the better solution?

Well, any help or insight would be appreciated.

Alex

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using the __get and __set magic methods to allow access to recordset properties, but more and more I am now thinking in the mindset that any sort of getter and setter is a sign of immature design. The Tell Don't Ask principle highlights this:
    [snip]...you should endeavor to tell objects what you want them to do; do not ask them questions about their state, make a decision, and then tell them what to do.
    A code example might help, related to the class above
    PHP Code:
    class User
    {
      private 
    $firstname$lastname;
      public function 
    __get$key )
      {
        return isset( 
    $this->$key ) ? $this->$key false;
      }
      public function 
    getRealName()
      {
        return 
    $this->firstname ' ' $this->lastname;
      }
    }
    // Asking
    $realname $user->firstname ' ' $user->lastname;
    // Telling
    $realname $user->getRealName(); 

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use an ActiveRecord implementation which uses __get and __set to write to a $this->row array.

That way $user->firstname maps to $user->row['firstname']
    Another nice feature that you can use then is passing the fetch onto methods if the value doesn't exist in the row.

So a call to $user->fullname searches the row doesn't find a value and then runs the following method...

public function fullname() {
    return $this->firstname." ".$this->surname;
    }

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help! - I've been looking through Vanilla a bit more, and it seems it uses the variables directly, without even a get() or set() - and then just writes everything to the DB.

PHP Code:
    $this->User->UserID $UserID
    So UserID here, is a public var, and doesn't go through a function... doesn't seem like very good practice..

Shrike: Interesting way of putting things - I think it seems like the cleanest method - and also the easiest to read. Do you query the database when the User is instantiated, or when it is 'told' to retrieve a value?

rossriley: That's what I was thinking of when I said 'array' - this seems like the simplest method, but again, maybe not the best in terms of OOP - I like how it runs a function with the name of the value it didn't find - is that done with a hook? like: $requestedValue(); // which basically is converted to fullname(); ?

In general, is it best to read and write the objects to the DB at the beginning and end of the page? or each time a value is requested/stored? The 2nd method wouldn't require the object to have a list of vars/fields...

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignoring the persistance side of things, obviously part of the user object would be little more than a simple DTO (so you'll need getters/setters for various user properties such as username, password, name etc.). In terms of solid behaviour, then I'd imagine there would need to be some kind of password encryption that needs doing before the user is persisted to the database. There would probably be some kind of authenticate behaviour and possibly some validation.

Here's an example of a user object from one of my Rails apps - this is using ActiveRecord so the simple user attributes are automatically available from the database (including setters and getters). I only store an encrypted password and its salt in the database.

Code:
    class User < ActiveRecord::Base
      attr_accessor  :password
      attr_protected :salt, :crypted_password, :remember_token, :remember_token_expires

validates_presence_of :username, :first_name, :surname
      validates_presence_of :password, :message => 'is required',
                            :if => :password_required?

before_save :encrypt_password!

def self.authenticate(username, password)
        user = find_by_username(username)
        return false if user.nil?
        return user if user.matching_password?(password)
      end

def matching_password?(password)
        self.crypted_password == encrypted(password, self.salt)
      end

def full_name
        "#{self.first_name} #{self.surname}"
      end

def admin?
        self.status == 'admin'
      end

def make_admin
        self.status = 'admin'
      end

def make_admin!
        self.update_attributes(:status => 'admin')
      end

def remember_login!(until_date=2.weeks.from_now)
        self.remember_token = encrypted(self.crypted_password, self.username)
        self.remember_token_expires = until_date
        self.save
      end

def remember_login?
        !self.remember_token.nil? and self.remember_token_expires > Time.now
      end

protected
        def password_required?
          self.crypted_password.blank?
        end

def encrypt_password!
          return if self.password.blank?
          generate_salt!
          self.crypted_password = encrypted(self.password, self.salt)
        end

def generate_salt!
          self.salt = Digest::SHA1.hexdigest("---#{Time.now}---")
        end

def encrypted(password, salt)
          Digest::SHA1.hexdigest("--#{password}--#{salt}--")
        end
    end
    There is also some very simple authorization stuff in there - its implemented as a property for the user in this case as it was literally a case of admin or not admin. This wouldn't really scale for any kind of full-scale auth system.

For those who don't know Rails, the attr_protected statement protects attributes from mass assignment with functions such as User.new(attributes) and User.create(attributes). Also, Rails makes object attributes public by default but if I was designing this without using ActiveRecord things such as the salt and encrypted password would be completely private as there is no need to expose them - they are completely encapsulated by the authentication methods.