SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Good' things to know in php?

Kind of an odd question but let me explain- I'm just looking for people to comment on aspects of php that they find incredibly useful. For example, it wasn't too long ago that I found out about php's lib curl. While I have no need for curl at the moment, it's good to keep in the back of my mind in case I do. Same with the image creation functions- I never needed them before but I found a use for them for my new site, and it never would have crossed my mind had I not known about them.

You could say the same of the regex functions too, because someone who is using php as their first language would probably have no idea that there exists an entire sub-language for pattern matching.

Anyway, if you're still with me, what do you think are very handy and convenient aspects/features of php that might not be apparent to everyone?
    The Flash Gaming Network
    Editorial reviews for the latest flash games!
    Afro Ninja Productions
    Original flash games and content from a guy with an afro

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Functions for every possible way you would want to sort an array, in_array(), the ternary operator, all of the classes at PEAR, the fact that you can type php.net/function_name to search for a function definition.