User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How to set up an ASP Web Server

Hi Everyone,

I've got my new ASP 2.0 site with a database ready to put on the web and I'd like to host it on my own server. I've never hosted my own site and don't know what I need to get going.

I've learned how to set up a server with Linux/Apache/PHP but I don't know what software I need for the the ASP site. I searched and searched the web looking for info on this but getting little info.

Can you tell me what I need to get up and running?

Can I host my ASP site with a database using XP Pro with IIS, .Net Framework 2.0, and SQL Server Express as the core components?

Do I need more or less software?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iis

Quote Originally Posted by }{ypedUp View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Can I host my ASP site with a database using XP Pro with IIS, .Net Framework 2.0, and SQL Server Express as the core components?
    I thing you will be ok with these components but I thing you will have asp 3 version with XP (and asp.net 2 with .Net Framework 2.0).
    Is not it?
    Dimis

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by }{ypedUp View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I've got my new ASP 2.0 site with a database ready to put on the web and I'd like to host it on my own server. I've never hosted my own site and don't know what I need to get going.

I've learned how to set up a server with Linux/Apache/PHP but I don't know what software I need for the the ASP site. I searched and searched the web looking for info on this but getting little info.

Can you tell me what I need to get up and running?

Do I need more or less software?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    What you have should be fine... You shouldn't need the .Net Framework, but it won't hurt anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first thing: XP Pro is a workstation OS, not a server. It has a limit set to the number of concurrent connections - I think 10. That means that only 10 people can view your site at a time. The proper OS for Windows is Windows Server 2003 - that is what should be used. Win2k3 is designed for this and is, IMO, way more secure than WinXP.

And scarabaeus - he will need the .Net Framework to host/develop an ASP .Net site, which I'm sure is what he meant in his line - ASP 2.0 site - as classic ASP version 2 is nearly a million years old, especially if he's also talking about SQL Server Express.

Next thing: not sure what kind of Internet connection you have, but most ISPs won't allow you to host sites through a home connection - too much bandwidth usage and they may come knocking. Plus you wouldn't have near the connection speed that a hoster would most likely have.

Hosting is cheap, why would you want to host your own site? Are you going to be around 24/7 in case your server goes down? You plan on taking a vacation or go away for the weekend? hosting your own will really tie you down...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the input. My bad on the ASP 2.0, I meant ASP.Net. .Net Framework is 2.0.

" Hosting is cheap, why would you want to host your own site? Are you going to be around 24/7 in case your server goes down? You plan on taking a vacation or go away for the weekend? hosting your own will really tie you down... "

I realize this but it'll be much easier to manage the DataBase if I can connect to the site from local network for udating.

The boxed site will have dedicated line from the ISP and it's for a limited number of people. I first thought Windows Server 2003 but then said "Why not XP, I already have it and won't have to spend $400 or more.

I didn't realize there was a 10 user limit. Although at this time, I'd be lucky to get 10 users but that could change in the future. It's not exactly open to the public and you can't get much use out of it unless you're logged in. Anonymous users can't sign up as a member. Members are a private group with assigned usernames and passwords.

I should probably go wit Windows Server 2003. So, here's the revised list. Will it get me off the ground or do I need more?

1. Windows Server 2003
    2. .Net Framework 2.0
    4. SQL Server Express
    5. Static IP on a high-speed connection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think as long as you have a static ip, then you would probably be fine - although again, save the $400, sign up for a cheap shared windows host and pocket $200.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh and make sure you have a top notch AV app and firewall running... before you connect it to the web...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bbolte,
    I'd like to be able to control everything, I'm getting deeper and deeper and becoming a junky with this stuff. I do have a shared host for my main site.

Is it cool to run IIS and SQL Server Express simultaneousy? Will there be any clash?

Adding fuel to the flame, here's what I'd REALLY like to do:

Connect my three local desktops to a machine runnig WS2003 and use WS2003 as a file server for the three desktops. Also use the same server machine to run IIS as the Internet server. Of course, I'd want to run .Net FX 2.0 and SQL Server Express.

Is this feasible or should I back up and re-group?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not a server admin...

i know you can run it as a file server, i know that you can run it as a web server. should you run both at the same time - can't answer that.

maybe you should post these questions in the Server management forum ...