User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working with a Service Bureau

Hi,
    New here. Was wondering if this was the right forum for the subject. As an independent contractor, I plan to contract for a service bureau. Could anyone suggest what are the key issues to consider when working for a service bureau--that is, what issues to consider and what's the ideal work or business structure to propose?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure if i exactly follow the question - maybe some more info. what will you be doing for them?

if you're going to be doing graphics work, i would think your main issue is hardware/software compatibility. then there are font issues... and the list goes on.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for response.
    The service bureau is considering to outsource/subcontract web-related jobs for it's client base and I'm hoping to cash in on the opportunity as a freelance and independent developer. I was asked to submit a proposal on how we can structure the working relationship. What's the best way for them to profit from projects that I'll eventually deliver for their clients? Will it be the traditional cost + ---i.e., the cost I bill them and they markup to the client? Issues of this nature, etc.

Could you suggest also negotiation checklist for my part? You know, so it's mutually beneficial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your going to have to decide what amount you can work for - what will make it worth your while. but you will have to consider their position, if you're so high they can't be competitive with their markup, you won't get the work. i would also work out exactly what you will do for them (ie: will you meet clients, how many concepts per job, etc.) this will define the workflow. you may want to develop a checklist of sorts to define your workflow.

just some thoughts...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again, Bill.
    Any more specific talking points?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nothing else jumps to mind - it shouldn't be any different from working with anyone else...