SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Distorted images in browser

can anyone shed some light on why my buttons would be distorted in the IE browser (haven't tested others), and my hdr banner won't display at all?

i have re-inserted and re-ftp'd the things umpteen times, re-created the pages, double-checked my browser graphic settings ... don't know what else to check.

also, i haven't changed anything (that i can think of) from a few weeks ago when everything displayed just fine.

it's driving me NUTS !!!!

(i purposely am not including a URL for 2 reasons - 1) this post isn't a form of PR because, 2) the site isn't really ready for viewing.)

THANK YOU for ANY help / ideas ....

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you provide a test page though? Saving a sample page (with the content removed and replaced by pointless filler text) with the HTML/CSS/JavaScript (if you're using any server-side languages, like ASP or PHP, then copy what the browser sees by right-clicking and pressing "View Source" or go to "View" then "Source" and copy/paste/save that into a new file instead) along with the images into a .zip file and uploading that here as an attachment would allow us to see what the problem is.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Dan,

(I tried to send you a pm but you're inbox is full -- tsk, tsk) ...

Murphy is preventing me from getting a zip file made today?!?!? ...

i may as well just give you an URL, if you wouldn't mind taking a look when you are able.

i've just now (again) recreated all my buttons as well as deleting them from my server and re-uploading them. as for the banner (hdr) .... ?

www.completeonlinemarketer.com/test.htm

(guess this means i will have to get my butt in gear and get it working!!!!)

as i said, this used to work for me about 1 month ago. i know the html is a mess (not sure what i think of FrontPage, but it's all i know) ... )

thx again - i appreciate the reply and any help you can give !!!

vb

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have that zip now ...

thx again,
    vb
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks to me like every single one of your images didn't upload correctly - most of them have no proper .jpg 'end' markers, and appear to be missing >60% of their data blocks.

How are you uploading them to the server? Via FTP or via a http front-end? The problem lies somewhere in that realm.

if by FTP, make sure the client is set to 'binary' not 'auto' or 'ascii'... though I doubt that's the problem as it appears the .jpg headers and some of the early data is in tact...

Oh, and if sending them via HTTP, are you on one of those 'special' (in the same way some olympics are special) 'accellerated' dailup services? Those can bork image uploads even though they aren't supposed to touch stuff being uploaded. (JOY)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DS,

i am using SmartFTP to upload - noticed that it was set to ASCII/Binary so i reset that to strictly binary ... no difference in browser tho.

I can't imagine what i would've changed in the first place, but that doesn't mean anything .. any ideas how i should be configuring SmartFTP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Well, as for my PM inbox being full, I'm still sorting through which messages I want to keep and which ones I want to junk - I don't believe in exporting private messages as XML files, since I like to be able to view them from ANY computer, and not just the one I exported them to.

Now, as for your FTP software, have you tried using FileZilla at all? Not only that, but who is your ISP and what type of connection do you have? 56k dialup, 56k dialup with "accelerator software" added on, A/DSL, or cable?

Also, who is your Web hosting provider?

Finally, when using any FTP software, (and I cannot stress this enough-even deathshadow will agree with me) do not under any circumstances whatsoever, even if you have a gun pointed to your head or a bayonet at your back, use a FTP client that is currently in beta. There, now that I've said that, care to answer my questions?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we are on DSL.

thx for the FireZilla link. will give it a whirl.

i've contacted my host to inquire about my FP extensions - altho they are installed, i am unable to publish from FrontPage. do you think that this would be a contributor?

PS
    didn't mean to lecture about the email - esp since i'm one to not even empty my emaill Trash (which, btw, saved me when i lost my data on my hard drive!!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Ghu, FrontPage extensions? FrontPage? I think THAT is the real problem. Why are you even using it, anyway?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok .. what's wrong with FP? (apart from the messy code)

thought i should update ...

i tried a different FTP app - WS FTP (call me daft, but FileZilla didn't have an obvious install.exe so i went with something else. prob'ly downloaded the wrong zip, but i was trying to keep the frustration level to a minimum).

anyway ..
    WS FTP uploaded my images no problem -- the page is FINALLY displaying as it should. don't know why it took me so long to do this ?!?! ... but i'm VERY relieved !!!!!!!!

thank you all for your input and suggestions. i learned about PNGs (other forum) and Filezilla .. and who doesn't empty their inbox.

PS
    what's a "Ghu?!"

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GHU (God Help Us)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhh-hh -- i see you're English.
    That xplains it then ....

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i sometimes make the mistake of replacing an image after updateing and forgeting to update the specified size in the html.

so if i redo an existing imge on my webpage and make it a bit smaller then upload it to my webserver, the live page still thinks its the old img. so that is why some of my images are distorted.

just my 2 cents
    Free prizes and gifts. FreeYahoogie.com