Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Ajax to hide JavaScript

H there,

I am about to launch a site for which I have done a large amount of work in Ajax. Probably about 60% of my work is on the client side in JavaScript. I am considering taking some of the larger functions (where I have done most of the owrk) out of the static html page and passing them to the browser at runtime and then using eval to execute them.

I was wondering if anybody has ever done this before and how much protection this actually gives from somebody who would want to see my code.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    almost none... if i wanted to see js code i would just open the page in firefox, then change with my web developer plugin i would view all javascript files. or i could force an error in the js and debug it to view all the info being moved around...

What do you want to protect your code against? because if you put a note in the code at the very beginning saying "you are strictly forbidden to copy or other wise minipulate this code" you have the ability to sue a person if they tried to steal it.

If there is another reason you want to parse the js, i seggest you use a server side language and output it as XML or another format where they cant see the js.

Another idea would be to use flash, it is still not too get the code, but better than js.

-ALL
    Did I help you?
    You can repay me, support one of my projects (no money needed):
    JavaScript Wiki, Another Web Forum, Paranormal Site

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have to give the code to the browser in order for it to be able to execute it

if you give it to the browser, then anyone can get at it

you can never stop this... it's client-side code!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you could do is to obfuscate your JavaScript to make it more difficult for others to use. Google for "JavaScript obfuscate".